Help a newbie out.

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_wolfie8000_*

Guest_wolfie8000_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:14 AM

I was wanting to start collecting on my own here soon :D but I do not have any equipment yet :oops: . What equipment do you guys recomend for someone new starting out? Besides a net and a bucket, what are some things that make life a little easier when catching fish by yourself or with someone else?

Thanks Wolfie

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:47 PM

Bucket: five gallon with lid. battery operated aerator.
Net: 8 foot seine, you are limited to a 4x8 seine by Ohio law. Brails( poles) I use stout broom handles.
The cheap seines that you can get from Walmart are decent. Do not buy a Frabill seine, worthless! Teleost gets his from Cabelas, and I really liked using it. I lace the sides of the seine to the poles with extra nylon rope, or cable ties.
Salt: I add it to the bucket at the stream 1tbsp per 5 gallons ( keeps fin rot at bay)
I am sure some others will have more info, but this should help you get started.

#3 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:50 PM

I take the above as well in addition to :
viewing container with little aquarium net.
Novaqua or stress coat
cummings dipnet

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:51 PM

Novaqua or stress coat is also with me. Thanks Drewish

#5 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:56 PM

All very good advice. We also use rubbermaid storage containers as holding bins during collection. We normally take 3 or 4 of the 15 or so gallon ones with us. Coolers do the job too. Many people will aerate the water during transport and this is certainly a good idea. We generally don't but make eery effort to keep the water cool. This means doing water changes if necessary and indirectly cooling with ice at times. I will be glad to expound on this if necessary.

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:06 PM

For collecting solo I would stick with a dipnet. A bucket and cooler are the other 2 essentials.

#7 Guest_wolfie8000_*

Guest_wolfie8000_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:54 AM

Thanks for the replies.
I knew I saved my cabela's gift card for something. :)

#8 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:29 PM

you can buy very small cast nets for about $20.00, you have to know what is on the bottom though or you will hang it up.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users