• Guests

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:17 AM

That's a really neat picture.
Thanks for sharing!

#5 Guest_TurtleLover_*

Guest_TurtleLover_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:27 AM

Awwww, he's too cute. I love the ferocious looking shot.

#6 Guest_Aqualung_*

Guest_Aqualung_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:03 PM

thanks everyone. yes he is an ast, which i got from randleas turtle farm.

Attached Files

#7 Guest_Aqualung_*

Guest_Aqualung_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:35 PM

hey natureman, i just moved from springfield last year.

#8 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:12 AM

It looks like he could cut your finger off. How big is he expected to get?

#9 Guest_Aqualung_*

Guest_Aqualung_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:30 AM

i think the record is around 325. they live in excess of 100 years so he has a while. my buddy has had his for 13 years and it has a head the size of a cocker spaniel.

#10 Guest_TurtleLover_*

Guest_TurtleLover_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:31 AM

Here's a good idea of how big this "little" guy can get. A professor of mine from college said they used to like to mess with these guys when he was younger by seeing them snap branches and stuff with their beaks. He said his mom wasn't too happy when he came home one day with her broom in two pieces.

Posted Image

#11 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:27 PM

150 years!!! And I bet he older they get the better they smell.....LOL

I used to keep a snapper as a kid, lots of fun, but the stench was heinous no matter how often I changed the water.

#12 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:01 PM

hey natureman, i just moved from springfield last year.

Right on.
Did you get tired of the endless expanse of flat ground?
:D

#13 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:03 PM

i think the record is around 325. they live in excess of 100 years so he has a while. my buddy has had his for 13 years and it has a head the size of a cocker spaniel.

325 what? Pounds? That thing hardly seems like an appropriate pet. It seems downright dangerous!

#14 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:12 PM

To each their own Ed...

Very nice little Ally snapper :)
Good luck with him / her....

#15 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:05 AM

325 what? Pounds? That thing hardly seems like an appropriate pet. It seems downright dangerous!

There was a reptile store on Winton Ave in Rochester, NY where I saw dozens of baby aliigator snappers, immediately recognizable from the regional natives by the overly large shell crests. I asked the owner what the hell he expected people to do with these things when they got to be 200+ pounds. His response..."Quite frankly, its not my problem." What a nice man. He sold me a beautiful ball python though.

#16 Guest_TurtleLover_*

Guest_TurtleLover_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:11 PM

This goes back to previous conversations that certain species should be sold only to licensed individuals that prove they can care for a creature and properly provide for it the duration fo their lifetime. (no offense to anyone) Just saying, using Scott's pet store guy as an example, many people adopt pets they will never be able to care for.

#17 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:25 PM

This goes back to previous conversations that certain species should be sold only to licensed individuals that prove they can care for a creature and properly provide for it the duration fo their lifetime. (no offense to anyone) Just saying, using Scott's pet store guy as an example, many people adopt pets they will never be able to care for.

Or maybe people should take the time to research their pet choices and only obtain what it is they can handle within there means. Why further legislation or regulation??

What is needed is a good dose of being personally responsible. I do understand this is an anachronistic idea these days however..

#18 Guest_Aqualung_*

Guest_Aqualung_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:02 AM

just to let everyone know i do my research and am quite prepared for his teenage years and beyond. really ive owned fish that are far harder to keep than this guy.

#19 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:03 AM

just to let everyone know i do my research and am quite prepared for his teenage years and beyond. really ive owned fish that are far harder to keep than this guy.

In all reality there are pet rocks that are more demanding than a M. temminckii in captivity :P

#20 Guest_TurtleLover_*

Guest_TurtleLover_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:20 PM

Just so you know Aqualung, my comment on irresponsible pet owners wasn't directed at you. I'm sure you know what you're doing, I was talking about impulse buyers in random pet shops. I know many of us on this forum do our research diligently before making a pet purchase, but too many people don't bother as brooklamprey pointed out. Personally I did a year of research on before getting my daughter her guinea pig and cockatiel. And it's taken me over a year to decide that I really wanted my corn snake. We have a zoo at our house, but everyone is well taken care of. We made an out of town trip yesterday and went by our regular pet store there and stocked up on supplies for everyone. They love us when we do that because we easily drop a small fortune getting everybody's supplies for the next couple weeks.
While a alligator snapper is unusual, I'm sure he'll grow up happy and spoiled by you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users