Rusty Crayfish Now In Maryland

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2007 - 07:12 PM

Just found the first record of rusty crayfish (Orconectes rusticus) in Maryland portion of the Susquehanna, above Conowingo Dam. Not a big surprise considering they have been found in PA right up to the border. Also a few months ago the first records of rusty crayfish in Maryland were found in the upper Monocacy River.

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:37 PM

Here is a little update.

NEWS STORY 1

NEWS STORY 2

A few quirks here and there in the articles, like "prehistoric looking creatures" and "eating much of the habitat favored by native species", and we never said anything about being trout.

Another biologist and I co-authored a protocol to determine their distribution throughout the watershed. It is planned to be a multiyear effort to not only document spatial changes but also changes in relative abundance of rusty, virile, and native crayfishes in the Monacacy River. Wrapping up the initial sampling shortly and hoping to get crunching numbers and getting some grad students interested in crayfish/invasive species ecology and life history since we have hundreds of preserved crays. As a benefit, we found a few shield darters and new site locations for several mussel species.

#3 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:56 PM

Rusty crayfish have now been found in Antietam Creek, a drainage slightly further west than where they seem to be established in Upper Monocacy River. While the possession, sale, and collection of Rusty Crayfish was banned earlier in the year and signs were posted throughout the drainage, it appears this may have not prevented their spread. A news release will likely come this week. This years monitoring in the Monocacy did not find any substantial increase in their distribution. An interactive google map is currently being constructed to allow anyone to see their distribution and relative abundance over time from the results of our monitoring.

#4 Guest_camber1981_*

Guest_camber1981_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:33 PM

It doesn't surprise me, Rusty crays tend to spread like wildfire anywhere they become established. Most of the creeks(but not all, yet!) near me have them. You can tell how invasive they are, when you're looking for crays, either you find natives, or you find rustys. And where you find Rustys, they are LEGION. You literally can't flip a rock over without finding one......

#5 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:39 PM

I hate to bring a thread back from the grave, but we've just found today that a few specimens of rusty crayfish from Antietam Creek has been confirmed as dense populations at multiple localities. The more disheartening thing that was learned today is that they are also in the Potomac River around the confluence of the two streams. Press releases will probably be going out shortly.

#6 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

:ohmy: :sad2: :cry:

#7 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

:ohmy: :sad2: :cry:

They are supposed to be in NJ already. I haven't run into any yet I think they are in north Jersey since I know people who have caught them and they live north of me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users