Surface Vegetation

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:35 PM

The pike spends most of his time under the lilies (none on surface since they were just pruned) and the apongentons. The apongentons are very fast growing and forms a nice surface cover with alot of flowers.

The hornwort is directly underneath this canopy and thrives. It too was thinned and pruned today. Hornwort is a very nice plant to fill underneath the surface vegegation.

I have 110 Watts/30 gallons, so I am guessing that the hornwort thrives in low to medium light conditions.

These are very easy plants to grow. I am trying to keep it very simple. And my pike has a fondness for the hornwort and surface vegetation.

My pH readings are in the 5.2-6.2 range. My CO2 output is cranked. The pike shows no signs of stress, and I found an article that says grass pike are found natirally in pH ranges from the 5's to 8's.

Grass pike are very hardy fish, and do not mess up the planted aquarium.

M.

#2 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:02 PM

The "overhead" plants will make him feel secure. He will be much less likely to take a flying leap.

#3 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:34 AM

do you have pressurized co2 (from a bottle?) or is it yeast fermented?

you can get a selinoid that can cut the co2 off at night with the lights, the co2 causes your ph go up and down. I had a good article on this stuff on my old pc ill hunt it down.

#4 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:53 AM

I have a 20 pound CO2 cylinder that I purchased at a welding shop. It was filled to 800psi. I have been running my CO2 injection at about 180 bubbles/min for 13 hours on a timed solenoid. The lighting is on a 12 hour cycle and starts an hour after the CO2 has been running.

I am trying to maximize plant growth. The fast growing plants have really eliminated the algae in my tank. The snails are good at cleaning hard to reach places.

So far things are going well.

M.

#5 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:44 PM

Nice looking tank.
That Grass Pike is fat! Looks very healthy. I wish I could get a grass pickerel.

#6 Guest_mishmosh_*

Guest_mishmosh_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:45 PM

Showboating your tank AGAIN?!?!

j/k. Great to see some nicely shot (semi-pro I dare say) pics of a great tank and fish.

#7 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:59 PM

word up mishmosh....just wait until we post our 1st annual PIKE-A-PALOOZA pics on this forum...

M.

#8 Guest_wolfie8000_*

Guest_wolfie8000_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:12 PM

Excellent tank and plant growth =D> . What kind of substrate are you using and do you use any fert's, if you do then what do you use?
Love the pike and please keep posting pics. I am going to try a setup like this as soon as I find another tank for a pickerel.

Hey, I hit 100 posts. :-D

#9 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 20 September 2007 - 03:36 PM

Wolfie,

Here it goes...this is my formula...

SUBSTRATE....1/2 sand (home depot playground sand) and 1/2 very small unpainted gravel. If I had to do it all over, I would go the more expensive route....I would go with 1/2 sand and 1/2 black onyx from seachem. This would provide an excellent medium for root development and at the same time, provide a very aesthetic substrate. The sand is key....great for roots and also really helps prevent leakage of tablet fertilzer (which I feel is key.)

The sand and gravel (or black onyx) has no macro or micro nutrients. So when you decide to place rooted plants, you will need to add tablets that have both types of nutrients.

For stemmed plants and rootless plants, I am using PMDD fertilizer. I am using 1/2 cc/day. The concentration is 1 tablespoon of PMDD into 30 cc's of water. After a water change, I add 1 cc of PMDD.

This may be a good tablet for you....

http://www.aquariump...ct_p/pr1328.htm

If you have more questions, ask me or mishmosh.

M.

#10 Guest_wolfie8000_*

Guest_wolfie8000_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2007 - 09:38 PM

Thanks for the info and the link.

#11 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:08 AM

FarmerTodd shot me this link when I was asking about planting substrates. I found it ot be helpful.

http://www.farmertod...e_fish_tank.pdf

and the original thread...

"Economical Planting Substrate"

I will be going to Onieda Lake this afternoon to get some good, silty sand from the shoreline. Very high clay content in my yard up in the hills and I for one don't want to mess with the turbididty that may result from that, besides it not being very breathable for gas exchange. Sphagnum moss under the sand, as someone mentioned in the thread, would add nutrients, and the saturation feeding that Todd mentions in his paper (once the tank is established) should obviate the need for most of the fertilizer.

#12 Guest_mishmosh_*

Guest_mishmosh_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:51 AM

FYI: PMDD = poor man's Dupla drops
-all the necessary macro and micronutrients for aquatic plant growth (sans phosphorus to avoid algae bloom)

Here is some background:
PMDD info

Here is where to get some:
http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users