Looking For Educational Materials

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kittythedog_*

Guest_kittythedog_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2007 - 01:30 PM

Hi,

I work in environmental education, primarily with freshwater issues here in Texas. I really want to find some materials addressing the release of invasive species from aquaria.... I remember seeing "Don't dump that aquarium!" posters somewhere, does anyone know where to find them? We have found aquarium species in the creek here, and of course they are rampant in nearby systems (e.g. armored catfish in San Marcos).

Any and all resource suggestions relevant to environmental education are welcome!

Thanks,

S

#2 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2007 - 02:53 PM

I know that Habitattitude used to have them available for download but I can't seem to find them at the moment. I might contact them directly and ask if these can be downloaded elsewhere.

http://www.habitattitude.net/

#3 Guest_kittythedog_*

Guest_kittythedog_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2007 - 03:37 PM

That website looks awesome, I wish they would finish it! It would be a great resource.

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2007 - 05:43 PM

We contacted them some months ago about partnering with NANFA, and AFIK ne'er a word from them...I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the website to be finished.

#5 Guest_TurtleLover_*

Guest_TurtleLover_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:41 PM

Couldn't find the poster you wanted, but Dr. Foster & Smith liveaquaria.com site sends a 8 1/2 x 11 page with all their orders warning not to release any plants or animals into waterways. Maybe if you contact the liveaquaria site they'll send you some for your class.

#6 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:00 PM

http://www.ipaw.org/news/watergarden.htm

"Please Don't Dump Your Aquarium" - Habitattitude Campaign The WDNR and UWEX have partnered with Habitattitude (www.Habitattitude.net), a new national public education and outreach effort targeting aquarium product consumers. The goal of this campaign is to raise awareness among aquarium product consumers about how they can help prevent the spread of aquatic invasive species by encouraging them to choose alternatives to releasing their unwanted aquatic plants and fish.We have developed two new publications to be placed in aquarium retail stores:

* WT-841- "Don't Dump Your Aquarium Poster" - Great for hanging at the retail store, perhaps by the aquarium products or at the counter!
* WT-842- "Don't Dump Your Aquarium Tip Card" - Placed at the counter in a brochure holder, these can be given to the customers as a reminder after purchase!

Since the national campaign, Habitattitude, is concentrating on the big box chain stores like Wal-mart and Petsmart, we would like to target the independent retail stores in Wisconsin.

Please contact Al Byla (608-261-6450, algis.byla@dnr.state.wi.us) if you would like to help distribute these materials to aquarium/pet stores in your area. We would like to keep a list of retail stores that receive our materials in order to evaluate if the poster and tip card are effective.

Hope this helps

Tom

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:34 PM

FWIW, Habitatittude appears to have last updated their website in 2006. I suspect this group will drop off the map soon.

#8 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:52 PM

FWIW, Habitatittude appears to have last updated their website in 2006. I suspect this group will drop off the map soon.

I agree

#9 Guest_diburning_*

Guest_diburning_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:31 PM

I agree

I think that the government just doesn't care about that site anymore. I don't think they care much about releasing fish and plants into our waterways until they become established, then they start accusing fishkeepers.

#10 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:18 PM

I think that the government just doesn't care about that site anymore. I don't think they care much about releasing fish and plants into our waterways until they become established, then they start accusing fishkeepers.

Just as a reminder you vote those into office and they decide where money goes. This project was cut from the USFWS budget by those not interested or concerned with this issue. So before you start accusing the USFWS as not caring about this remember that their funding depends on intelligent voting and action on your part as a citizen of this nation.

#11 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:32 AM

Just as a reminder you vote those into office and they decide where money goes. This project was cut from the USFWS budget by those not interested or concerned with this issue. So before you start accusing the USFWS as not caring about this remember that their funding depends on intelligent voting and action on your part as a citizen of this nation.

You may also want to consider partnering with several groups to apply for a grant. With the cooperation of state DNR's, nonprofits (NANFA and others), grants could be applied for to put together an educational poster, pamphlet, or other materials to promote this.

I do not have the time to spear head this, but would be willing to work with some one who would. I could contribute by assisting to find grants in Ohio, and would be willing to review grant proposals (I have written a few). There is always money, it is just putting together a project, being able to complete it, and building support from partnering with others.

Just an Idea.

#12 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:57 AM

You may also want to consider partnering with several groups to apply for a grant. With the cooperation of state DNR's, nonprofits (NANFA and others), grants could be applied for to put together an educational poster, pamphlet, or other materials to promote this.

I do not have the time to spear head this, but would be willing to work with some one who would. I could contribute by assisting to find grants in Ohio, and would be willing to review grant proposals (I have written a few). There is always money, it is just putting together a project, being able to complete it, and building support from partnering with others.

Just an Idea.

That is a good Idea Matt..
I also do not have the time but would also do what I could for such a proposal.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users