Gar Headed South For Winter?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:37 PM

What do you thinks going on here? (they are facing south)
Posted Image

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:11 PM

Looks like you captured them in one of their monthly calls to prayer.. They all pay homage to the great gar god and goddess by facing south to where the forgotten gar mother and father first rinsed from the lumps and failures of early ganoids, to become the greatest ganoid species to inhabit the earth..

OK...not sure whats going on there but it is quite an interesting pic....

#3 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:39 AM

I see them do that frequently, although not usually facing the same direction. Do any of your gars point up like that? I hate to think I have some nazi gars.

#4 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2007 - 01:52 PM

I see them do that frequently, although not usually facing the same direction. Do any of your gars point up like that? I hate to think I have some nazi gars.

They do that all the time..it is quite normal, sometimes they point their heads down at that angle sometime up.

#5 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:54 PM

Somtimes mine do brief head stands, for lack of a better term, for no apparent reason. They just point straight down and sit that way for a moment, then resume normal positions.

I am guessing its a good way for gar this size to keep a good look out, yet look like a stick laying on the bottom. The unnatural position doesn't lend itself to showing up as well as if they were hovering at that same eye level above the bottom.

Fits the fish profile. Think of these two things anytime a fish does something - unrelated to spawning that is- out of the ordinary. Get as much to eat, without getting eaten. One other disclaimer, when fish are healthy. Your gar look fine.

On a lighter note, they probably are facing south because they know the warmth is sliding away as we approach winter, and unlike most people I know, they miss it even though they won't be feeling it inside your home. I am with the gar on that one, not even winter yet and spring cannot come soon enough!

#6 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:07 PM

like the bottle filter in the back

#7 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2007 - 01:37 PM

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic