Beaver Wood

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RIVERRUNNER_*

Guest_RIVERRUNNER_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:29 AM

I promise I'm not trying to start arguments...
Is it OK to collect wood that's been gnawed on by beaver?
I've never seen a dam, just sticks here & there.
If the bark is all gone, they are done with it, right?

#2 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:12 PM

generally the "woods" are full of sticks that could be potential "beaver" sticks, don't worry they will make more

I would think that your average beaver has not much else to do than gnaw on sticks for the better part of the day.

#3 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:38 PM

I see no problem with it, I have chunks of wood around my home that have been gnawed by beavers.

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:38 PM

I picked up a couple of beaversticks last week to use as hiking staffs (nowadays they call 'em "trekking poles"). This is not a natural resource that is in need of conservation.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:39 PM

I'm sure PETA would say we are exploiting the beavers for personal gain.

#6 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:43 AM

If the bark is all gone, they are done with it, right?

Yup, if there is no bark left, its not in a dam and fall is this close it is of no use to the beaver. In fact, the only reason they make dams at all is to get food. They raise the water level to get easy access to trees and then they build the dam and then pack the interior with live (green) sticks under the water (ice) line. Then they eat their dam all winter long. Pretty ingenious if you think about it.

#7 Guest_RIVERRUNNER_*

Guest_RIVERRUNNER_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:33 AM

Sweet! :D

I already have one as a handrail on the steps to my back porch, & another 2ft long x 10"dia. I plan to carve a beaver in!
I'm hoping to find more large enough to make a single pole fence around 2 sides of my pond.
I'm very happy to hear this has no conflict with ethics/conservation.

#8 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:39 AM

Yup, if there is no bark left, its not in a dam and fall is this close it is of no use to the beaver. In fact, the only reason they make dams at all is to get food. They raise the water level to get easy access to trees and then they build the dam and then pack the interior with live (green) sticks under the water (ice) line. Then they eat their dam all winter long. Pretty ingenious if you think about it.

Eat the dam? To the best of my knowledge they also build a lodge in one of the deeper parts of the pond (another reason to build the dam) and store food near the lodge, under water. So should the pond freeze at the surface they can still get food under the ice.

#9 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:22 PM

Eat the dam? To the best of my knowledge they also build a lodge in one of the deeper parts of the pond (another reason to build the dam) and store food near the lodge, under water. So should the pond freeze at the surface they can still get food under the ice.

yeah, its all about getting and storing food

#10 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:35 PM

yeah, its all about getting and storing food

Yeah, I realize that but I never heard of them eating their own dam. They stockpile branches underwater near the entrance to their lodge.

#11 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2007 - 06:39 AM

They don't "eat" the dam, hey definately don't eat the critical section which is mostly dead material and mud. But they will stockpile green fodder along the dam under the ice line. Especially when there are a lot of young to feed through the winter. I've noticed this in some of the larger beaver "complexes" that I have seen, and been tasked with removing in a few instances.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users