Kansas Fw Shrimp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:25 PM

I collected 3 specimens of this curious creature from a flood water pool in Miami County, KS on Sunday, 09/31/07.

Since my camera doesnt have manual focus I am finding it difficult to focus on them because of their color. This is the smallest one, about 1 inch long, he sat next to the plants for a while which allowed the camera to focus.

Posted Image

Here is the larger one, about 1.5 inches.

Posted Image

#2 Guest_TurtleLover_*

Guest_TurtleLover_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:36 PM

Looks like some sort of ghost shrimp to me. I like having a couple ghost shrimp in my tropical tanks to act as cleanup crew.

#3 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:16 PM

I have caught Grass Shrimp in a lake at Branched Oak State Recreation Area near Lincoln, Nebraska in 2005. I asked a Nebraska DNR person; the shrimp are not native and were added as food for the bass and bluegill stocking.

#4 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:39 PM

Ghost Shrimp is the LFS name for them, but sometimes the LFS sells non-native species.

The two native species of freshwater shrimp inhabiting the unimpounded upper
Mississippi River (UMR) are the Ohio Shrimp (Macrobrachium ohione) and the Glass Shrimp
(Palaemonetes kadiakensis).

The Ohio Shrimp, M. ohione, ranges from Alabama to Texas and is on the northern periphery of its range in Illinois and Ohio . It also occurs along the eastern coast from Florida to Virginia. This species of shrimp is endemic to the United States and is the only Macrobrachium sp. found in the Mississippi River drainage. Ohio Shrimp can reach a total length of 100 mm, but average 60 mm.

The Glass Shrimp, P. kadiakensis, is the only species in this genus that occurs in the unimpounded UMR. This shrimp ranges from northeastern Mexico, north to the Great Lakes and east to Florida. In large rivers, this shrimp associates with low velocity backwaters. The Glass Shrimp reaches a total length of 36 mm. This species is common in the central and southeastern United States. However, because of its limited commercial value, it has not been well studied.

taken from: http://www.umesc.usg.../amn_shrimp.pdf

Here is an image I got from a shrimp forum to help ID species.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users