Fish ID

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jtrotter77_*

Guest_Jtrotter77_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:21 AM

ok about 3 years ago I caught a fish in a run-off ditch when I was in Verobeach FL. caught lots of nice fish that day but one really stood out, it was 12" long but body shape pattern and even head looked almost identical to a banded sculpin, I brought it home and put it in my aquarium. I had it for about 6 months and ended up selling it becuase it had eaten almost everything else in there, *small sunfish,bass, and a jack dempsy, even my other sculpin and darters dissapeard. anyways i was so pissed at this fish by this time that I sold it for $25.00 and have never seen another fish like it since, Anyone have an idea of what it was, by the time i sold it he was just over 14" long.

#2 Guest_Jtrotter77_*

Guest_Jtrotter77_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:24 AM

oh yea it sat on the bottom mostly or it would perch on driftwood and just remained still most of the time, then if a small fish swam by it was like a trap door mechanisim, just a quick snap and it was gone, I only observed this at night aswell. during the day it just layed around no matter what was around it, I would love to get one again now that i have bigger fish to go with it,

#3 Guest_Jtrotter77_*

Guest_Jtrotter77_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:27 AM

oh yea it was caught in total freshwater, along with bass and ect..

#4 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:50 AM

Sounds like a toadfish. I don't know where Vero Beach is but it would either be an oyster toadfish if on the Atlantic side or a gulf toadfish if on the gulf side.

#5 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:04 AM

Sounds like a toadfish. I don't know where Vero Beach is but it would either be an oyster toadfish if on the Atlantic side or a gulf toadfish if on the gulf side.

That would be my guess too, I have always wanted to keep one.

#6 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:22 AM

ok about 3 years ago I caught a fish in a run-off ditch when I was in Verobeach FL. caught lots of nice fish that day but one really stood out, it was 12" long but body shape pattern and even head looked almost identical to a banded sculpin, I brought it home and put it in my aquarium. I had it for about 6 months and ended up selling it becuase it had eaten almost everything else in there, *small sunfish,bass, and a jack dempsy, even my other sculpin and darters dissapeard. anyways i was so pissed at this fish by this time that I sold it for $25.00 and have never seen another fish like it since, Anyone have an idea of what it was, by the time i sold it he was just over 14" long.

Am I to understand that you're selling wild caught fish?

You should become aware of the laws regarding this activity. In most cases this is unlawful behavior. We'll cooperate with the proper authorities upon request. You should also be aware that it's rather unethical to find one unidentified fish and snatch it from the wild. How could you be certain it's not an endangered or threatened fish? Knowledge is critical here. Please take the time to look into the law regarding fish sales as well as thinking about the ethics of taking unidentified fish from the wild.

#7 Guest_Jtrotter77_*

Guest_Jtrotter77_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:05 PM

well Like I said when I found it was was catching fish for my pond, I lived in verobeach at the time which is just north of Westpalm on atlantic side, anyways I caught that fish in my nets,I raised it in my aquarium there, but like i said when it started eating all my other fish, I got upset and sold it to a friend of mine who was always interested in it, after keeping it in my aquarium I wouldnt dare release it back into the wild, that could cause more problems than me taking it out, again also like i said it was about 3 years ago. and honestly I had just gotton into native fish, as I had bred african cichlids for years and this was a bit different, now all the fish I sale i buy off my suppliers, primairly off of Joe at TFD but I get a few off of aquabid and the like aswell.

#8 Guest_Jtrotter77_*

Guest_Jtrotter77_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:01 PM

dont think it was a toad fish as I have 2 of them before, this was alot more slim looking and lacked the little oscar the grouch hair, lol, however the head was shaped alot the same, body wise it was alot more lean and slender looking, , any other ideas?

#9 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:05 PM

Could be some exotic, what color was it?

#10 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:07 PM

Did it have teeth? Can you describe the fins?

#11 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:17 PM

maybe some kind of sleeper - Eleotridae

#12 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:58 PM

maybe some kind of sleeper - Eleotridae

I was thinking something along those lines, some type of goby.

#13 Guest_Jtrotter77_*

Guest_Jtrotter77_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:23 PM

ok I think thats it, I did a search on google and yahoo on Eleotridae and both have a pic that the page is gone so i cant look at it closely but it looks pretty dead on. I had no idea one would get that large. I did see a pic of a marbled goby I think it was, and body shape and everything looked identical however the pattern was more like the one on image search, well thats cool I need to get me another one of them then, That was one cool little monster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users