I Need Pike!

12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_brimsorbust_*

Guest_brimsorbust_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2007 - 04:53 PM

I really want some pike or any other related fish! I am starting a 75 gallon tank with large sunfish and it will be heavily planted. I dont want to buy fish I just want to know where to catch them. I am in south eastern virginia.

#2 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2007 - 08:52 PM

If, by "pike", you mean Northern Pike, please reconsider, a Northern will outgrow a 75 very quickly. You can get grass or redfin pickerel, which are like mini-Northerns and will fit your tank nicely. Avoid chain pickerel, they will outgrow your tank as well. There are lots of pickerel threads in the forum, search around.

I cannot help with catching pickerel locally in Virginia. Be sure to review your state laws, you may not be able to legally keep them. Here in Wisconsin, we cannot catch and keep grass pickerel, but we can purchase them from a dealer. If you want to purchase one, check out the NANFA vendors section.

#3 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:46 AM

You are in pickerel country. There are lots of chains and redfins in your area. Try Dragons Run...a great chain pickerel stream...lots of gar pike too. Redfins....try to find small streams that have lots of cover and/or vegetation. I had only one good spot for redfins...DISMAL SWAMP...they were loaded in there. Dragons run is not too far from you. Now go get yourself a crappie pole and some red and white mini-tubes and 1/32oz jigs and your are golden. A kayak, canoe, or small boat is best for dragons run....I never waded it, but I think it would be hard.

M.

#4 Guest_brimsorbust_*

Guest_brimsorbust_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:16 AM

Thanks, ill try to go there sometime.

#5 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:34 AM

You are in pickerel country. There are lots of chains and redfins in your area. Try Dragons Run...a great chain pickerel stream...lots of gar pike too. Redfins....try to find small streams that have lots of cover and/or vegetation. I had only one good spot for redfins...DISMAL SWAMP...they were loaded in there. Dragons run is not too far from you. Now go get yourself a crappie pole and some red and white mini-tubes and 1/32oz jigs and your are golden. A kayak, canoe, or small boat is best for dragons run....I never waded it, but I think it would be hard.

M.

Essox...

Where in the Dismal Swamp did you go? I've been trying to figure out where it might be legal to net/seine. It seems that it's not legal in the National Wildlife Reserve portion. But the place is so big, I'm assuming there must be somewhere I can go... I live only about a 1/2 hour away!

#6 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:31 PM

It isn't legal to seine/dip net in the GDS without a permit. It is however legal to hook-n-line fish in some areas. So you could sample fish that way.

#7 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:36 AM

The Washington Ditch in the Dismal Swamp is loaded. I didn't use a net or a seine. It is easier to catch them with a crappie pole and jig. If you tie flies, you could make your own small baitfish imitation in the size hook you wanted. With a 1/32oz jig, I have caught redfins as small as 5 inches. Fishing the Washington Ditch is tricky. Yes, you can enter the Dismal Swamp from the West, and have direct access to the Ditch, but make sure you check the regs.

I fished the Ditch in a more elaborate fashion. I would launch a boat on the east side of the swamp, go up a few miles and use a park provided wench to get into the main swamp. It is huge, but the lake has a bunch of out-let ditches that drain the swamp. This includes the Washington Ditch. This is how I fished for redfins.

Get a topo map (Virginia Delorme), and you will see what I am talking about.

Good luck.

M.

#8 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:35 PM

From fws.gov :

Fishing and boating is permitted year-round on Lake Drummond with access via the Feeder Ditch, connecting Lake Drummond with the Dismal Swamp Canal. A public boat ramp is located north of the Feeder Ditch on the Dismal Swamp Canal. Boats must be small enough to portage around the water control structure near the lake or to be lifted by electric tram to the higher level of the Lake. Lift weight is restricted to a maximum of 1,000 lbs. Vessels are limited to 25 hp on the Lake. A Virginia fishing license is required.

Boating access at the Interior Ditch boat ramp is by special permit on weekends only during the fishing season of April 1 to June 15. Additional information is available from the refuge office.

#9 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:11 AM

Drewish's instructions are right on. You launch on the intercoastal waterway. Turn south for a short distance and then head due WEST on the FEEDER DITCH. The trip is about a 3 mile boat ride to the heart of Dismal Swamp (Lake Drummond). As stated, there is a dam that needs to be portaged and the electronic boat wench can handle any small car top boat with ease. By traveling on the perimeter of the lake, you will find ditches and little bays lined with cypress trees. Get into the skinny and tight water and you will find redfin. This is where a crappie pole shines. It was not uncommon for me to catch well over a dozen redfins!!!!

I also caught bowfin, perch, and fliers there.

Find the ditches and you will score.

Nativeplanter, I would also try the numerous creeks right by your house. Blairs, Mount Holly, Cypress, Champion, Jones, Brewers, and Great Swamp Creek are all within 10 miles of your home. Alot of these creeks have bridge access, but I would still recommend a kayak to fish these creeks (assuming they are big enough.) You could also try fishing from the bridge if it is safe and legal.

A Virginia Atlas by DeLorme would help you considerably. All the sites I mentioned are on page 34.

Good luck.

M.

#10 Guest_brimsorbust_*

Guest_brimsorbust_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:36 PM

Thanks.

#11 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:19 PM

Thanks, essox. I lost track of this thread. We haven't bought a Gazetteer yet, but I plan to pick one up. I'll be sure to look for those creeks.

#12 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:31 PM

Is this tank by any chance going to contain the bluegill from your other thread, because if so, then there is a good chance they will beat your pickerel up.

#13 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:21 PM

I... use a park provided wench to get into the main swamp.

Wow. So THIS is how NPS spends our tax dollars...

How come I can't get one to help out with fieldwork...?

Cheers,
Dave

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users