Astyanax Mexicanus

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jamjam_*

Guest_jamjam_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:18 AM

On a recent collecting trip to the San Antonio river I caught Astyanax mexicanus. Is this species normally found in that river or is this an 'exotic' introduction? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:13 PM

It is my understanding that the San Antonio population is an introduced population and not part of the natural distribution. The exact historical distribution however is not well established for the region.

#3 Guest_jamjam_*

Guest_jamjam_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:54 PM

It is my understanding that the San Antonio population is an introduced population and not part of the natural distribution. The exact historical distribution however is not well established for the region.

Thanks. I didn't think they were native to that area.

It's interesting, of the three types of fish I caught only one seems to naturally occur there (and it may be an introduction also). I did see some sunfish and Texas cichlids but I don't think that the river is part of the cichlid's natural distribution either. A bit disappointing.

#4 Guest_puchisapo_*

Guest_puchisapo_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2007 - 11:59 AM

does anybody here have experience breeding A. mexicanus? i have an opportunity to collect some in Mexico for a zoo exhibit that i am working on, but i only want them if i can count on keeping a colony going.

#5 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:11 PM

does anybody here have experience breeding A. mexicanus? i have an opportunity to collect some in Mexico for a zoo exhibit that i am working on, but i only want them if i can count on keeping a colony going.

They breed like rabbits under the right conditions. Which is not hard to provide.. Basically good food and good water conditions is all thats required.

They should be very easy for you to keep a colony of.

#6 Guest_puchisapo_*

Guest_puchisapo_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:02 PM

i had forgotten....i think the one in the river down there is A. fasciatus. here is a picture of one (of many) that i netted when i went down there last summer.

Posted Image

i have been meaning to ask around NANFA to see if anybody might be interested in this proposed zoo project. i made a Weblog describing my trip in June and as preliminary project work.

-Devin

#7 Guest_puchisapo_*

Guest_puchisapo_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:42 AM

does anybody else have any specifics on breeding these monsters? i would like to bring some back during this trip to Jalisco next month. really, i am starting to run out of space, so if i have any neighbors who might have interst in keeping A. fasciatus, please let me now.

#8 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:35 AM

Probably egg scatterers with lots of eggs.

#9 Guest_NativeTexan2010_*

Guest_NativeTexan2010_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:06 PM

does anybody else have any specifics on breeding these monsters? i would like to bring some back during this trip to Jalisco next month. really, i am starting to run out of space, so if i have any neighbors who might have interst in keeping A. fasciatus, please let me now.

Wanted to send an email to you directly but your email address wasn't avvailable.
I'd love to be a part of an expedition to Mexico.
Do you know of any possibilities?

#10 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:39 PM

I am looking to acquire a small school of these fish. Can anyone help? Most providers I've tried to contact are unable to get any or have not returned calls/emails.

Thanks
Nick L.

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:23 PM

Basically good food and good water conditions is all thats required.

This is true of all fishes, yes? The devil is in the details...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users