Creek Chubsuckers

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:47 PM

Just wondering if anyone has attempted to keep these fish.
I have tried juvies on several occasions but they always starve. They adjust well, cruising calmly and grazing on the substrate and rocks. They nibble pretty much anything I put in there but usually spit it back out. Seems like they don't spit the frozen bloodworms but they still get skinnier and skinnier until they die.
I'm thinking they need to graze all day and have constant food intake. I just don't know what food they want.

#2 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:14 PM

Unfortunately I can't be any help on this one, but I am curious as to better methods of feeding these guys. I had a Creek Chubsucker that I had the same problem with. Even other similar feeders in my tank (i.e. a Silver Redhorse and a Spotted Sucker) are doing well. I thought the Creek Chubsucker would follow suit. :sad:

#3 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:40 AM

I have three of them, 3-5 inches, in a 75. They have only been in there for two months but they seem to eat pretty much everything: flake, bloodworms, live brine, live blackworms, and decaying algae/plant material at the bottom. Maybe you guys ae talking about a greater time scale, but they all seem to be doing fine and I have not noticed any weight loss.

#4 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:12 AM

Maybe you guys are talking about a greater time scale...

I know that I am, it was not until about a year that mine gave up the fight.

#5 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:23 PM

I have three of them, 3-5 inches, in a 75. They have only been in there for two months but they seem to eat pretty much everything: flake, bloodworms, live brine, live blackworms, and decaying algae/plant material at the bottom. Maybe you guys ae talking about a greater time scale, but they all seem to be doing fine and I have not noticed any weight loss.

No I was talking less than 2 months. I think a clue is that yours are grazing on the mulm in your tank. My tank was newer and had very little organic material for them to graze on. They SEEMED to eat everything I put in but on close inspection were actually spitting most things back out. I'm thinking the grazing on the bottom is key. I'll try again next spring. Should be some stuff to graze on by then.

#6 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:08 PM

I have kept both creek and lake Chubsuckers with very little trouble. They seem to be much more willing to feed on just about anything than any other kind of suckers. They both seem to take flake food readily and various other foods. I would sugest however keeping them in a take without a lot of other quick eaters because they take their time feeding and don't compete well unless you just feed everyone in the tank a lot.

#7 Guest_4WheelVFR_*

Guest_4WheelVFR_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:43 PM

I've got about a dozen or so in my 125g and they eat everything. They tend to like frozen bloodworms, emerald entree, brine shrimp, etc than they do the pellets.

#8 Guest_tadpoleboy_*

Guest_tadpoleboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:44 PM

i have one large one, about 6 inches, its has a large mouth and eats anything that fits. FLakes, dried bloodworms, other fish. I usually freeze any dead fish and feed those to it, or just cut off chunks of chicken. Very hardy fish

#9 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2008 - 06:11 PM

i have one large one, about 6 inches, its has a large mouth and eats anything that fits. FLakes, dried bloodworms, other fish. I usually freeze any dead fish and feed those to it, or just cut off chunks of chicken. Very hardy fish

Are you sure it's not a Creek Chub (Semotilus atromaculatus)?...This thread is about Creek Chubsucker (Erimyzon oblongus).

#10 Guest_tadpoleboy_*

Guest_tadpoleboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:45 PM

Are you sure it's not a Creek Chub (Semotilus atromaculatus)?...This thread is about Creek Chubsucker (Erimyzon oblongus).

your right, my fault i read it too fast. haha

#11 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:18 PM

Just wanted to update and say that the three creek chubsuckers I have are still going strong, and even doing well competing with full grown margined madtoms and a spotted bullhead, with the exception of an occasional missing scale or torn fin.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users