Warmouth Or Pickerel?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:10 AM

I have a 55g tank that my grandmother wants to be a planted tank. I'm not sure if I want warmouth or pickerel in here, as they are both amazing fish. If I put pickerel in there, I'm going to take a shot at breeding and try different tank designs, water parameters, temp changes, etc. Do you think it would be worth it, or should I just stick with warmouth for this tank? State any opinions you may have, whether they're nice or mean; I don't get offended easily. :)

#2 Guest_vmahaffe_*

Guest_vmahaffe_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:48 PM

I have a 55g tank that my grandmother wants to be a planted tank. I'm not sure if I want warmouth or pickerel in here, as they are both amazing fish. If I put pickerel in there, I'm going to take a shot at breeding and try different tank designs, water parameters, temp changes, etc. Do you think it would be worth it, or should I just stick with warmouth for this tank? State any opinions you may have, whether they're nice or mean; I don't get offended easily. :)

I've had warmouth and just got some pickerel and I definitely like pickerel better. Warmouth are just plain ol' gluttons and pickerel are more fun to watch when they eat. Pickerel just look tough too.

#3 Guest_BassNut144_*

Guest_BassNut144_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:21 PM

I haven't had the pleasure to have a Pickerel yet, but I do plan on buying on from Brian as son as I get my new tank set up and planted (If I can Figure out how to plant it properly)...but I did have a warmouth until he unfortunately met his demise. I absolutely loved him, he was a very exciting fish...I would definetly recommend a Warmouth, especially if you can find a nice healthy one. Usually a fish will lose most of it's color soon after being introduced into the tank and mine actually got more vividly colored, and if your lucky you can get it to eat minnows out of your fingers like mine did. But no matter what you decide, I would definetly look into Zimmermans Captive Raised Native Fish.

#4 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:30 PM

Might be fun to do both and let the best fish win! Actually, it might just work if its a well planted tank and fish are kept well fed and with a small school of feeder sized minnows/shiners just in case somebody gets hungry before dinner time. Might interfere with breeding the pickeral though.

#5 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:40 PM

I've had warmouth and just got some pickerel and I definitely like pickerel better. Warmouth are just plain ol' gluttons and pickerel are more fun to watch when they eat. Pickerel just look tough too.

I'm probably going to put warmouth in there, since they're my main breeding project right now, but I agree that pickerel are cool and everything. Warmouth definitely aren't plain though. In fact, I have one that has some pretty cool patterning. Instead of vertical stripes of dark brown, on one side he has one mid-lateral stripe that goes horizontally down his body, and on the other side looks like the pattern of a "jungle-designer" leopard gecko. I'm going to try to perfect the patterns through selective breeding, and hopefully get some little "jungle morph" warmouth. :-D

#6 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:42 PM

I haven't had the pleasure to have a Pickerel yet, but I do plan on buying on from Brian as son as I get my new tank set up and planted (If I can Figure out how to plant it properly)...but I did have a warmouth until he unfortunately met his demise. I absolutely loved him, he was a very exciting fish...I would definetly recommend a Warmouth, especially if you can find a nice healthy one. Usually a fish will lose most of it's color soon after being introduced into the tank and mine actually got more vividly colored, and if your lucky you can get it to eat minnows out of your fingers like mine did. But no matter what you decide, I would definetly look into Zimmermans Captive Raised Native Fish.

I already have some nicely "colored" and patterned ones, and one is actually from BZ. She's actually doing quite nicely, and I'm hoping to breed her with some of my better looking males.

I have places for both fish. I have a tub out in my backyard and a 55g tank, I'm just trying to figure out which fish is going to go where!

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:57 PM

Might be fun to do both and let the best fish win!

Ha, my idea exactly! Great minds think alike. Let 'em fight it out 8-[

#8 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:24 AM

My opinion on the warmouth/pickerel in the fighting ring. Do not place bets on either one because I do not believe they will even go one round. Well planted tank or not. I have had both fish and I found them to both be docile to any other fish that does not fit in their mouth. But in my opinion a warmouth is the better pick. Just like a chamelion. It can be under a rock one second and pure black then come out and be totally light brown with bars on it. A very easy fish to keep and feed. I think easier than a pickerel anyway. And when I said I did not believe they would even go one round I meant I do not think they would fight AT ALL!

Daniel

#9 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:30 PM

If it's a 55 why not pick 3 different sunfish species (minus gills and crappies ofc) and keep them together. I've noticed my smaller greens end to gang up on my larger pseed. but the pseed usually is the champ of any scrabbles.

#10 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:41 PM

If it's a 55 why not pick 3 different sunfish species (minus gills and crappies ofc) and keep them together. I've noticed my smaller greens end to gang up on my larger pseed. but the pseed usually is the champ of any scrabbles.

I would except this is going to be used for a spawning tank. I don't want all of my fry to get picked off by other fish. Thanks for your input though. I might end up setting up a sunfish community.

#11 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:11 AM

You can never go wrong with sunfish.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users