Hello From Ohio...

19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:28 PM

I was a NANFA member for a year or two a few years back but stopped renewing my membership as there was no local field trips taking place and that was the main reason I joined. I see lots of Ohio people on the boards (which I found today and am quite pleased about) so whats up? Let's get out in the water again.

Anyways, I am from NE Ohio (Lake County) and have either a 40 or 75 gallon tank that I am thinking of setting up for native stream fishes. The size of the tank depends if I move my salamanders to the 40 or not.

Andy

#2 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:52 PM

I was a NANFA member for a year or two a few years back but stopped renewing my membership as there was no local field trips taking place and that was the main reason I joined. I see lots of Ohio people on the boards (which I found today and am quite pleased about) so whats up? Let's get out in the water again.

Anyways, I am from NE Ohio (Lake County) and have either a 40 or 75 gallon tank that I am thinking of setting up for native stream fishes. The size of the tank depends if I move my salamanders to the 40 or not.

Andy

Welcome,
Glad to see another buckeye on the forum.
I live in Ashtabula county and work in Lake county, If you want to do some collecting let me know.

Tom

#3 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:40 PM

Good to see another NE Ohio person online. I hope that you'll consider joining again. You should check one of the threads about why people should be members.

Anyways, let me know when you would like to get out in the stream. Tom has some nice spots to get to near him, great place to get natives for your tank.

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 06:28 PM

I see lots of Ohio people on the boards (which I found today and am quite pleased about) so whats up? Let's get out in the water again.

You realize that this means you must re-up your membership? :-D

#5 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:32 PM

You realize that this means you must re-up your membership? :-D

I was gonna mention that but I figured I'd let him be on the forum at least 24 hours before bringing that up. Way to break them in Irate.

#6 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:39 PM

Anyways, let me know when you would like to get out in the stream.

PM me when you know your schedule, lets get out soon.

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:27 PM

Hell, he's made two posts and he didn't ask for free fish. He's a winner in my book!

#8 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:29 PM

Hell, he's made two posts and he didn't ask for free fish. He's a winner in my book!

This is true.

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:54 PM

Welcome Andy! I am from southern Ohio, I am also your regional Rep. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. Ohio has become a very active region, and has many good members. Welcome to the forum, and welcome back to NANFA. We will try our best to keep you around this time! Matt

#10 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I am pretty excited that alot of Ohioians are on here. I also browsed the forums pretty well before making a post so I was aware that someone - Irate - would get me to re-join. All I can say is the $20 or so is a bargain but I needed field trips - so promise some field trips and I promise a renewal. As for the free fish - get me a field trip and that will be all the free fish I need.

Glad to be here.

Andy

#11 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I am pretty excited that alot of Ohioians are on here. I also browsed the forums pretty well before making a post so I was aware that someone - Irate - would get me to re-join. All I can say is the $20 or so is a bargain but I needed field trips - so promise some field trips and I promise a renewal. As for the free fish - get me a field trip and that will be all the free fish I need.

Glad to be here.

Andy

I promise we'll get you some field trips in NE Ohio. Want to get out this afternooon? maybe Wednesday? This weekend?
Let me know.

:D

Tom

#12 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:38 PM

Hey Andy! You post on Fieldherpforum.com don't ya? Me too! I liked your recent florida post [even though you buttered up KW :laugh: JK]
Did you do any dipnetting in Fl or did you waste your time on those silly slimey sallies? :tongue:
At least you saw a few cool snakes.
You might as well go buy more tanks if you want to keep your salamanders. Once you go native, you'll be hooked.

BTW, what's this about free fish? Where do I sign up? Who should I send my addres to?

#13 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:31 PM

I know this isn't the exact right spot to post this, but I do want to get out in the northwestern Ohio area to collect some fish. I would enjoy some company on the trip if tglassburner and company (anyone in the NE Ohio region) would like to come out the the Maumee River drainage.

#14 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 09:48 AM

Mikez,

Yeah I post on Fieldherpforum, herps are my first and foremost love. As for Florida and KW, I really couldn't have done it without him, he gave me alot of help. I caught many a fish dipnetting for aquatic salamanders. I don't know the species but lots of a kind of blue-striped shiner (very pretty), killies, a few darters, I believe a Pirate Perch (it got away too fast but looked like it) and many many many pygmy sunfish. I also saw many Redfin Pickerels. Unfortunately I forgot my petersons freshwater fish guide, so I wasn't able to ID the fish out. Also many cool shrimp and crayfish. Many me want to set up a Florida tank.

Andy

#15 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:01 PM

Mikez,

Yeah I post on Fieldherpforum, herps are my first and foremost love. As for Florida and KW, I really couldn't have done it without him, he gave me alot of help. I caught many a fish dipnetting for aquatic salamanders. I don't know the species but lots of a kind of blue-striped shiner (very pretty), killies, a few darters, I believe a Pirate Perch (it got away too fast but looked like it) and many many many pygmy sunfish. I also saw many Redfin Pickerels. Unfortunately I forgot my petersons freshwater fish guide, so I wasn't able to ID the fish out. Also many cool shrimp and crayfish. Many me want to set up a Florida tank.

Andy

If you like salamanders you should check out the Ashtabula River. It has a good population of mudpuppies, photographing ONLY.

#16 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:36 PM

I have only seen 3 Mudpuppies in my life (oddly enough, by contrast 5 Hellbenders) and two were found in the Grand. Also, Mudpuppies are not protected in Ohio in terms of no collection. You are allowed 4 wild-captured individuals with a $25 permit and NE Ohio has a decent population, although I am not as good as some of the PhD's in the area at finding them. Unlike my boss (who wants me to set up a Mudpuppy display tank at work) I really have no current desire to keep Mudpuppies so I would only be taking pictures.

Andy

#17 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 08:46 PM

Mudpuppies are not protected in Ohio in terms of no collection. Andy

We currently do not know the accurate status of mudpuppies in Ohio. They as are stonecat madtoms and others being DRASTICALLY effected by the lampricide that US FWS is putting in Conneaut Creek, Grand and other streams that have mudpuppy populations. Lampricide is designed to kill sea lamprey, but appears to kill many non target species. So I try to push the photographing. The Ashtabula is not treated with lampricide so they are doing fairly well. OEPA & Some in ODNR are concerned about these populations in the Lake Erie basin.

Just because something is not protected by state law does not mean it should not be. One tool that conservation organizations can have, on forums such as this, is to promote catch, photograph and release when a species is not yet protected.

#18 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:53 PM

We currently do not know the accurate status of mudpuppies in Ohio. They as are stonecat madtoms and others being DRASTICALLY effected by the lampricide that US FWS is putting in Conneaut Creek, Grand and other streams that have mudpuppy populations. Lampricide is designed to kill sea lamprey, but appears to kill many non target species. So I try to push the photographing. The Ashtabula is not treated with lampricide so they are doing fairly well. OEPA & Some in ODNR are concerned about

Right on! They can be found in many areas where they are secure. Sounds like we should stay away from those lake Erie drainage populations.

#19 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:59 PM

Unlike my boss (who wants me to set up a Mudpuppy display tank at work) I really have no current desire to keep Mudpuppies so I would only be taking pictures.

Andy

Take any size tank fill with water right from the tap, throw in same natural unwashed substrate and several large rocks with just enough space underneath to not allow any visability add a powerhead for some good current. That's really all you need for a nice mudpuppy display tank. Don't bother with an actual mudpuppy they just hide under the rocks pretty much all the time, come out to eat at dark then poop day and night. That's what mine did anyway.

#20 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:06 AM

Scenic, I completely understand with your reasons, I was just stating the law, even if Ohio herp laws are way screwed up. By contrast there are animals on there that are protected from legal collection and shouldn't be... i.e. Black Kingsnakes.
Unfortunately with the lamprocide it makes so much sense to wipe out native Mudpuppies to kill non-native lampreys which attack non-native steelhead. Good science is based completely on $$.

I guess I should also state that with herps as my first and foremost interest and as a naturalist at the county park system, any herp I intend to collect at this point would be in an effort to breed in captivity. It is my belief that all species should have a captive breeding plan outlined in case something in the future starts going wrong we don't have to start at square one.

Keepnatives, we had a tank in the Ohio State natural resource building (where I got my BS) with a mudpuppy and I think I saw its head under a peice of driftwood a couple times. Your right not very interesting. Then a prof decided that his goldfish were more important than the natives and it became a big goldfish tank.

Andy

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users