Pygmy Sunnies

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:58 PM

Could they work in one of those executive tank death traps? Like one of those hexagonal, 2 gallon tanks that tear apart tropicals? My step mom wants a fish that can work in a small tank for her classroom, and I was thinking of getting some for a little breeding project and might buy her one if they can work in there.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:56 PM

I would say yes... although I have always kept several in a 10 gallon tank... I see no reason why it woul dnot work in a smaller tank... I seem to remember Bruce or someone talking about keeping some in a 2.5 allon tank before... my wife's little office tank is an eclipse6 which is actually a pretty good tank and we have kept topminnows in before with no problem... anyway, just make sure that you load it up with plants (maybe like Java moss) until you almost can't see through it... then the Elassoma with be happy...

Could they work in one of those executive tank death traps? Like one of those hexagonal, 2 gallon tanks that tear apart tropicals? My step mom wants a fish that can work in a small tank for her classroom, and I was thinking of getting some for a little breeding project and might buy her one if they can work in there.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:02 PM

I agree a tank that size would not be a problem if planted heavily but I think you might have a problem with the regular live feeds.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:07 PM

I have been able to maintain and even breed Elassoma on mostly frozen foods (I say mostly becasue I do occasionally, change out a plant from an outside tank into their tank, which gives then some new critters to forage on for a while). But I agree it will be difficult in many office environments to feed frozen foods even... that's why my wife had topminnows... Fundulus cingulatus... colorful, hardy, eats flakes... that's what I would recommend for a small office tank... I know that works!

I agree a tank that size would not be a problem if planted heavily but I think you might have a problem with the regular live feeds.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:44 PM

I have been able to maintain and even breed Elassoma on mostly frozen foods (I say mostly becasue I do occasionally, change out a plant from an outside tank into their tank, which gives then some new critters to forage on for a while). But I agree it will be difficult in many office environments to feed frozen foods even... that's why my wife had topminnows... Fundulus cingulatus... colorful, hardy, eats flakes... that's what I would recommend for a small office tank... I know that works!

Sorry for the derail but I have to ask. How were you able to convert them to frozen and what frozen food did you use? I'll admit I can get my elassoma to eat frozen but only "on the fall". I've always been worried about wrecking the water conditions when feeding frozen.

#6 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:53 PM

Wouldn't the plants use the food as nutrients as it brakes down? Snails can also be added which would rid the tank of excess food. IME bloodworm blocks float and as they melt the each worms slowly comes off, allowing the fish to pick them off rather than letting it fall to the bottom to be forgotten.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:36 AM

Not really a derail... I didn't really do much... stuffed the tank full of plants (java moss from another aquarium and water hyacinth from a water garden outside, so I'm sure full of bugs and other good things to eat) and snails (reported in some book I read to help keep the water clean by eating left over food and also to provide food in the form of baby snails). Then I put a small amount of tap water in a jar and thaw out a block of brine shrimp, or mysis shrimp, or tubifex (can't use bloodworms any more I seem to have an alergic reaction). After it thaws, I pour it in the tank (lightly to try to get it to not all sink to the bottom too quick... even pour some on the leaves of the water hyacinth which eventually rolls off). They seem to eagerly attack water is falling.

If I had a smaller tank or fewer fish I would recommend using the "sheets" of brine shrimp so that you could break off smaller pieces and only add the amount that they might eat.

Sorry for the derail but I have to ask. How were you able to convert them to frozen and what frozen food did you use? I'll admit I can get my elassoma to eat frozen but only "on the fall". I've always been worried about wrecking the water conditions when feeding frozen.

#8 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:51 PM

When i feed frozen foods such as brine shrimp to a smaller tank I first defrost the block completely in a separate container. Then I use either an eyedropper or a mini turkey baster to suck up a small amount. This way i can control the amount of food leftover in the tank. After they have eaten the first small squirt I go ahead and add another one if needed. This also gives the fish time to eat without being overwhelmed by a blizzard of brine shrimp.

#9 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:44 PM

I think another thing that helps fish get eating frozen food is if there are other fish that eat it already. It has worked on many of my fish. Maybe put something like a topminnow in with the pygmies to show them.

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:50 PM

I think another thing that helps fish get eating frozen food is if there are other fish that eat it already. It has worked on many of my fish. Maybe put something like a topminnow in with the pygmies to show them.

...many topminnows would be too agressive for elassoma, but L. omatta work great...

#11 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:28 PM

I used to keep my elassoma almost exclusivly in 2.5 gallon retangular tanks. A pair usually made enough young to keep them going for sure.

One thing I found to get them to frozen food. You first have to get the live version, and then they recognize it as food is my guess when you add frozen during that feeding, and then slowly go to all frozen. Mentioned above, making sure it can fall through open water slowly really seems to help.

Too bad on the bloodworms causing some people some problems with allergies. That is one I had that all of them eventually would hunt along the bottom for and pick up after they had been sitting there for a good while. Would reckon it would work with other larval things frozen, glass worms, and the mysis shrimp or other thing that is still a body that can be recognized. Maybe even adult frozen brine shrimp. Never tried those myself.

#12 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:01 PM

One thing I found to get them to frozen food. You first have to get the live version, and then they recognize it as food is my guess when you add frozen during that feeding, and then slowly go to all frozen. Mentioned above, making sure it can fall through open water slowly really seems to help.

That is exactly what I did with my dwarf puffer. Except he only ate frozen brine shrimp after I fed him live ones. then when I ran out of live ones, he kept spitting them out. It's very frustrating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users