Fish I.d. Quiz

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:58 PM

I only got a 72%, but I did it without looking anything up. Considering that I don't know my perch, I figure that's not too bad.

#22 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:42 PM

Yeah, the so called yellow catfish was way out there. I knew of mud catfish being a local term for bullheads, but yellow cat? Why didn't they put up some slang or regional terms for several of the other species if they were going to do it with the bullhead? It did look like a yellow bullhead because of the shape and lighter body color, but often black bullheads do have a golden green sheen on the side - and as mentione earlier the barbels on the bottom.

That pumpkinseed sketch is not far off from what out of color pumpkins, especially females, look like. It is also a very commonly used image all over. I also thought many of the pictures were lacking in color detail like the pumpkinseed, since many who are not really familiar with the fish have a high quality image in mind of what these fish look like from fishing magazines or public aquariums.

So as in the bullhead and pumpkinseed, along with others color is relative.

All that aside, it was a neat test, but I am still going to gripe about the bullhead question, that one was out of line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users