• Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:16 PM

Looks like a hungry smallmouth bass.

#3 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:19 PM

Looks like a hungry smallmouth bass.

You beat me to the punch! I was gonna say the exact same thing!
That fish is hungry! Get it some minnows or worms or crayfish PDQ!

#4 Guest_why_spyder_*

Guest_why_spyder_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:22 PM

How often am I gonna have to feed this guy? I'm feeding some fish that need to be culled due to unwanted genetics. Not really looking to have to buy live food continuously. I did feed him/her one fish tonight - wasn't sure when it last ate, and didn't want to overfeed it.

#5 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:23 PM

Once you get it back to normal, once a day, maybe every other day depending on the size of your feeds.

You should be able to get it on non-live food such as market shrimp.

#6 Guest_why_spyder_*

Guest_why_spyder_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:28 PM

The fish being fed right now are in the 1.25" - 1.5" range. I only have about half a dozen of that size left. After that the fish would only be around 1".

When you say market shrimp - would that be like the frozen shrimp you buy to eat? Or do you mean like freeze-dried krill?

#7 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:34 PM

The fish being fed right now are in the 1.25" - 1.5" range. I only have about half a dozen of that size left. After that the fish would only be around 1".

When you say market shrimp - would that be like the frozen shrimp you buy to eat? Or do you mean like freeze-dried krill?

Frozen shrimp you buy to eat... I usually buy them when on sale. Don't buy the thawed ones but buy the ones already frozen in the bag.

#8 Guest_why_spyder_*

Guest_why_spyder_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:36 PM

Thanks. Any suggestions for dry foods (pellets I'm assuming) for this bass?

#9 Guest_why_spyder_*

Guest_why_spyder_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:46 PM

I was just reading a few other posts about smallmouth bass - sounds like I need a large tank for them. Unfortunately - I dont have a big tank for this guy. Presently he/she is splitting a 55 gallon. In the next month or so - we are going to be moving out of our apt. and into a house. Will a 100 gallon stock tank be big enough for such a beast? I see a lot of suggestions are for 150+ gallons. Am I going to have to buy something much bigger?

Presently - this bass is around 6" or so. I don't know how fast these things grow - but I don't know how soon I'd be able to get a habitat over 100 gallons.

#10 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:01 PM

100 gallon should be plenty

#11 Guest_why_spyder_*

Guest_why_spyder_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:12 PM

Sorry for so many questions, but since I've been keeping cichlids - I know it's important to be educated about what you are raising.

Is my bass going to want tankmates - or will a solitary life suite it better?

If he's gonna need tankmates - he'll have to wait til January after we move. I just don't have the space until we move.

#12 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:14 PM

Sorry for so many questions, but since I've been keeping cichlids - I know it's important to be educated about what you are raising.

Is my bass going to want tankmates - or will a solitary life suite it better?

If he's gonna need tankmates - he'll have to wait til January after we move. I just don't have the space until we move.

They are pretty aggressive. So unless the tank is setup to handle that, no tankmates is better.

I've read of people getting their bass on pellets. Worth a try.

#13 Guest_why_spyder_*

Guest_why_spyder_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:17 PM

They are pretty aggressive. So unless the tank is setup to handle that, no tankmates is better.

I've read of people getting their bass on pellets. Worth a try.

Solitary it is then - that'll work out quite nice.

I just read about trying earthworms - I will try them too. I can afford to spend a couple bucks a week on food, it'll just mean less treats for me. lol I will look into shrimp and pellets as well. Pellets being the ultimate goal.

Thanks for everyone's help so far. Has really made things easier for me.

#14 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:27 AM

Ya,

They get big and fat...Trust me...They are truly awesome fish. Get a big tank. Also, feeding them can be very inexpensive. Mix the diet up a little bit and go kill yourself some carp.....make some strip filets (prime select cut filet) and freeze them. Freeze the filets in packages of 2-4 (enough for a week's feeding) for 2 months. This kills any pathogens. Cut the filets like worms...then once thawed...dangle it in the tank...see what happens...

How long would this carp feed your bass???

The season may be too late for this, but you can do it next season.

M.

#15 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:28 AM

Opps...I forgot to add the picture of the carp...

M.

#16 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:33 AM

Ok, now I got it right...

Great for feeding to any predator...abundant, nutritious, and LEGAL to hunt...

M

#17 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:59 AM

Ok, now I got it right...

Great for feeding to any predator...abundant, nutritious, and LEGAL to hunt...

M

Please tell me you killed that!

#18 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:11 AM

You can get bass of all kinds feeding on large cichlid pellets. I kept my fair share of bass when I started out and do currently have one of the much smaller species, a redeye bass and it is feeding on pellets just fine.

#19 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:28 PM

Please tell me you killed that!

The carp was killed. It was shot with an arrow. You can see the exit wound right in the middle of the fish...

Guys...these guys eat everything and anything....they eat darters....

What is Nanfa's stance on non-natives??? Does Nanfa support killing carp like the DNR???

M.

#20 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:05 PM

What is Nanfa's stance on non-natives??? Does Nanfa support killing carp like the DNR???

As an organization, NANFA doesn't generally make broad statements in support of any particular activity (aside from what's mentioned in the mission statement). This is certainly one of those cases as this activity does not relate to any aspects of the mission statement. Some individuals within NANFA would likely support the legal capture of carp with bow and arrow while others might consider this a lost cause since millions of anglers with bow will not "undo" what has been done with the introduction of common carp. If everyone had followed the NANFA code of ethics, invasive fishes could not have been introduced in the first place. I feel that speaks louder than anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users