Is Nanfa A Charity Orginization?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

Guest_troutperch beeman_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:32 PM

Is NANFA a 501 © 3 orginization? If it is can you PM the tax number so I can make a donation through work?

#2 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:26 PM

501 C 3's can be put on a list in Ohio to be included in the "State Employee Fund raising drive". Once a year state employees can make a payroll deduction to a non profit on their list. The list of these nonprofits is cerculated to all state employees.

I bet other states have this same option. I am not really sure how this works or how you get on the list. I will try to get this information. GREAT idea troutperch beeman.

#3 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:42 PM

501 C 3's can be put on a list in Ohio to be included in the "State Employee Fund raising drive". Once a year state employees can make a payroll deduction to a non profit on their list. The list of these nonprofits is cerculated to all state employees.

I bet other states have this same option. I am not really sure how this works or how you get on the list. I will try to get this information. GREAT idea troutperch beeman.

If a board member would get in contact with me (PM) I would be happy to help find out if NANFA can get on the list.

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:50 PM

NANFA is a 501©3 corporation, so this should work. Having said that I don't have our tax number at hand. Board member Tom Watson has it (I don't think he's on this list?), or Chris Scharpf, a.k.a. AC-Editor.

#5 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:55 PM

If a board member would get in contact with me (PM) I would be happy to help find out if NANFA can get on the list.

The goal for total fundraising through this fund in Ohio for 2007 is 4.6 million dollars. If NANFA could get 1/2 of one percent of those donations that would be $23,000.00. Now this is all hypothetical but hey who knows what funds could be raised. American Rivers is on this list. Now imagine if we were involved with every state that has a plan like this.

#6 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

• Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:32 PM

In order to make a matched donation I need the following info:

EIN#
Address and phone#
Contact person Title and email.

My company matches dollar for dollar and would pay quaterly. Not bad, I'm glad I attend the manditor meeting on charitable donations. Let's hope they will donate the NANFA. They said they would support any oginization that was regestered as a 501 C 3.
Herschel

#7 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

• Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:55 PM

Well I just filled out the paper work (online) so I should know if it went through in a few days.

#8 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

• Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:17 AM

Got an email confermation that my donation will go through. I hope more people look into this. It's not a lot of money but it's better than nothing.

#9 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:23 AM

Got an email confermation that my donation will go through. I hope more people look into this. It's not a lot of money but it's better than nothing.

Great job, maybe your idea will start something that can increase our grants.

#10 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:08 PM

This is good stuff guys! Let me know if I can assist in any way.

#11 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:53 PM

This is very cool! Is there any way to track how much say Ohio brings in and possibly have some sort of NANFA grant to fund an Ohio based project if the state is bringing in enough to support such a thing?

#12 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:10 PM

I would also like to know something about this as well. Being military we do the CFC (combined Ferderal ?<something) but its is basically the same thing, a way to donate to organizations through payroll deductions.

I will look at the list of orgs tomorrow at work and if NANFA is not listed I will see what I need to get in order for it to be listed. I know I can get some people to sign up for a donation, at least one would put in a small chunk of change, other than me of course.

#13 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:25 PM

To answer Brian, NANFA may well be open to a dedicated Ohio grants program if there was a steady dedicated income stream. And for that matter, it would be a good thing to set up other similar programs; I'm all for thinking big.

We in NANFA haven't taken anything like full advantage of our federal tax-exempt status. There is certainly a wide range of possibilities.

#14 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:10 AM

in order for NANFA to be listed in the combined ferderal campaign, someone from the organization will have to visit thier web site and download the pdf forms to fill out.
you can find that info here
If there is anything that I can do to help with the process please let me know.

This is obviousley something that will not happen for this years drive, but if someone can get it on the list then it will stay for many years to come. This is the campaign that covers all of the military and government workers, not state related.

#15 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:23 AM

CFC Charities are organizations with status as tax-exempt charities as determined by the Internal Revenue Service under 501©(3) of Title 26 of the United States Code that provide health and human services and that are determined to be eligible for participation in the CFC. Organizations may apply and be listed in the CFC brochure as either a local, national or an international unaffiliated organization or as a member of a local, national or international federation.

Does NANFA really fall under that?

#16 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:25 PM

If nanfa meets the same requirements as the following orgs I think it does

National Fish & Wildlife
National Audubon Society
National Wild Turkey Federation INC
National Wild Bird Refuge
National Wildlife Federation
National Wildlife Refuge Association

The list goes on, But I think that NANFA would qualify as per the 501 c 3 thingy.

#17 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:28 PM

hrmph... may be worth it. We would have to get Tom Watson involved since he has all that needed information.

#18 Guest_OneFish_*

Guest_OneFish_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2007 - 01:58 PM

hrmph... may be worth it. We would have to get Tom Watson involved since he has all that needed information.

Hey, I'm in St. Louis now but will be home in a couple days. I will look into this further then. The program requires strict accounting procedures and regular audits. I will have to talk to Chris and Stephanie to see if we meet these requirements since I have not taken over from Stephanie yet and have not seen her records.

Tom W-

#19 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:55 PM

Hey, I'm in St. Louis now but will be home in a couple days. I will look into this further then. The program requires strict accounting procedures and regular audits. I will have to talk to Chris and Stephanie to see if we meet these requirements since I have not taken over from Stephanie yet and have not seen her records.

Tom W-

First I got to have my say at this one, and I will call it REAL SELF DISIPLINE

OneFish
Group: NANFA Member
Member No.: 97

Ok with that out of the way,
If there is anything that I can do to helpwith gathering info please let me know and I will do what I can. My boss is this years rep for the CFC so I got a good direct connection for info on it. But that is not to say that next year we wont have a new boss and someone else taking over the CFC, after all I am in the Military and we never stay put long enough to breath twice.

#20 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:35 AM

When I got a Facebook acccount, I tried joining Causes for all of the non-profits that I support. NANFA was not available (among others). Someone on the BoD would have to set it up with all of the appropriate info.

It won't be immediately obvious when you first get your Facebook account on how to do this. But don't worry; Facebook is kind of viral. :) Once you have your account go to http://apps.facebook.com/causes/ and install the Causes application to your Facebook profile. Then you can Create a New Cause.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users