Electronic Collection Report Form

40 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:18 AM

I'm looking for a good general collection data sheet that I can use/store on my computer. If anyone would like to share, I'd be very appreciative. MS word or spreadsheet would be the bee's knees.

Thanks

#2 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:51 PM

I personally create a new word file for each sample I make and then save them in a serries of folders aranged by major drainage for my state and then just by state for out of state trips. I probbly don't record as much as I should in them, they are generally just a detailed location date and species list. Some times I look up GPS cordinates and put in aproximate numbers with the species list. I know there are others that are probably more organized than this.

#3 Guest_4WheelVFR_*

Guest_4WheelVFR_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:38 PM

I'll try to stop by the DNR/FWS office this week and see what they use.

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:01 PM

NANFA has such a data sheet. I can't find it on the website, but I have a copy. Pmail me with your email if you want one.

#5 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:20 PM

I proposed that to Uland already. He's looking for a spreadsheet of sorts, online or on the web.

This is one for VA used for reporting scientific collecting : http://www.dgif.stat...eport_06dec.zip

#6 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:38 PM

The form provided on the webpage under Administrivia is a fine document indeed. Can be downloaded here http://www.nanfa.org..._data_sheet.pdf

I would need to print it, hand write the data then scan it in order to retain my information electronically. I can't believe I actually worked and performed business before fax machines and now I'm whining about not having a pre-fabricated spreadsheet for collections!

#7 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:36 AM

The form provided on the webpage under Administrivia is a fine document indeed. Can be downloaded here http://www.nanfa.org..._data_sheet.pdf

I would need to print it, hand write the data then scan it in order to retain my information electronically. I can't believe I actually worked and performed business before fax machines and now I'm whining about not having a pre-fabricated spreadsheet for collections!

It would be simple enough to create a database from that form, you could also exclude things you would not use or add things that are desired, I'll work on this today and see what I can come up with.

I'll let you know.

Tom

#8 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:07 AM

It would be simple enough to create a database from that form, you could also exclude things you would not use or add things that are desired, I'll work on this today and see what I can come up with.

I'll let you know.

Tom

I think we would all be interested in some database form of that form. Thanks for your effort Tom.

Currently, I have a series of notebooks that I have 10 years of collection data in. It makes it a little difficult to cross reference by drainage, date, water conditions, or just about anything. Heck, I am lucky if I can find the sites at all without an hour long search.

#9 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:16 AM

I think we would all be interested in some database form of that form. Thanks for your effort Tom.

Currently, I have a series of notebooks that I have 10 years of collection data in. It makes it a little difficult to cross reference by drainage, date, water conditions, or just about anything. Heck, I am lucky if I can find the sites at all without an hour long search.

I'll put it on my website once I get it finished, and post a link here. This may take me some time due to linking of tables and what not, if anyone comes up with a form they like let me know, so I can stop working on this one, no sense reinventing the wheel.

#10 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:11 AM

I'll put it on my website once I get it finished, and post a link here. This may take me some time due to linking of tables and what not, if anyone comes up with a form they like let me know, so I can stop working on this one, no sense reinventing the wheel.

Maybe someone has contact info for the author of this article ---> ComputerFishRecords

#11 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:48 AM

A database would certainly be nice, but would take some work to set up. A more basic idea would be to make an Excel spreadsheet like the one in the article referenced by Tom. Then, in Excel, you can sort the rows of data by any column. E.g., you could sort the data by column 3, which was "watershed", and see all your data for each watershed grouped together. You can also sort within sorts.

Alternatively, I was thinking... Microsoft Acess can be a bit cumbersome to the uninitiated. If you happen to have the program "Endnote" (for cataloging references, often used in academia), you could probably easily customize a file for collection data instead of articles.

#12 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:42 PM

I would think somebody's got the source for that pdf file?

#13 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:43 PM

I would think somebody's got the source for that pdf file?

good thought ed.

#14 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:01 AM

A more basic idea would be to make an Excel spreadsheet

Eek!

If you make a form, please don't make it to run natively on Excel; then it is only readable to people who shell out the $$$ to run Excel. It's a very proprietary format. There are more open/standard spreadsheet formats out there. OpenOffice, for example, uses an ISO standard spreadsheet format.

Excel spreadsheets may or may not show up correctly in OpenOffice. It's a bit of a crap shoot.

#15 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:13 AM

I don't think I know anyone who doesn't have Excel. Regardless, there is a free viewer that can be downloaded. I'm reluctant to use another spreadsheet when I own an Excel license for my personal PC, and so does my employer for my company laptop. I think that Excel is the best, I've used QuattroPro and Lotus, and I'm unwilling to retrain on another spreadsheet. Regardless, no matter what format you choose, there will be somebody who doesn't like it. Sometimes that somebody is me, sometimes not. If you want to make a form, in whatever format you like, go for it. If you offer it up, thanks. If some of us don't like it, we are free to make our own forms, in the format of our choice. We haven't the right to complain about what you may freely offer.

Does anybody know where the source of that pdf file is? Can it be obtained and posted?

#16 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:49 AM

I don't think I know anyone who doesn't have Excel.

Then you also don't know anyone who doesn't have Windows. :)

You do now!

#17 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:33 AM

You do now!

i have mac ,linux, windows. i also have excel.

#18 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:23 AM

You do now!

Glad to meet you!

#19 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:24 PM

What if we could compile a NANFA database of Collection Reports? I know that it would not be entirely accurate, but we have the resources here to identify any questionable fish. Fish that are in question will only be accepted with a photo voucher added to the collection sheet. Any thoughts?

-Nate

#20 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:32 PM

What if we could compile a NANFA database of Collection Reports? I know that it would not be entirely accurate, but we have the resources here to identify any questionable fish. Fish that are in question will only be accepted with a photo voucher added to the collection sheet. Any thoughts?

-Nate

I like it.

Let us know when you complete this nate :lol:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users