S.e. Fisheries Council Meeting

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:44 AM

Did anyone go that is back? That's the second meeting for me I've had to miss this year due to scheduling conflicts. Really dissappointed about this meeting too so I'd love to be filled in on what went on and what was talked about.

Matt

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:59 AM

Seriously no one has a synopsis for me of some talks some whispers...anything?

#3 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:00 PM

Regarding the Southeastern Fishes Council Meeting in early November here in Chattanooga...

Well i can only think of Todd and myself who are active on this forum and who attended, so that is why you have not seen any comments. I had the most fun on the 2 days afterwards with Todd and Ed! We spent 2 days and one night up at my friend's bed & breakfast overlooking a water fall. We hit 5 sites coming and going and caught 55 species. 10 darters at one site. A fish, hush puppy and oyster fungi fry, great weather, fall colors and Comet Holmes in a starry sky.

But as for the SFC meet...
They had over 125 people attend, more than any NANFA convention. The talks were plentiful and rapid fire, 15 minutes each. i did like the short talk format and urge our conventions to stay away from one hour talks. 15 or 30 minutes seems ideal to me. Generally they were more for the university fish educated as i was lost in many of the discussions, uncomprehendible charts and graphs, various genetic models, words & terminolgies i dont understand. I think some NANFA members would enjoy it tho and would urge those to attend. It will be hosted again next year, same time and place. We also were given a behind the scenes TN Aquarium tour by their staff.

Some of the speakers are known by NANFA and have spoken at our gatherings. Both Pat and JR Shute spoke about their work with both common and endangered fish and their propagation and reintroduction back into sites such as Abrams Creek. Ed Scott and Peggy Shute spoke about Snail Darters. Brian Wagner, who hosted our 2005 Arkansas convention, spoke of the Arkansas Darter. Ginnie Adams, who also spoke at the AR & MO conventions, discussed her Grotto Sculpins. Bernie Kuhajda gave 2 talks and one was on the dangers of translocating and stocking fishes. All together there were over 50 speakers. A lot to hear! I would have liked to see more pretty pictures and spawning videos. :)

Several posters were up and one was of the illustrations for the upcoming Peterson's field guide. Very nice work by a fella named Justin.

I also was able to meet Jim Williams for the first time. He had provided me with the X-Rays of the Whiteline Topminnow i scanned and used on the Alabama 2003 shirt. David Etnier attended and we had dinner one evening where we heard the expanded 2 part version of the Kentucky baptismal pool cyanid poisoning and jail stay. A clash of cultures, and some folks were not happy. I also meet Bud Freeman and he signed his book the "Fishes of the Okefenokee Swamp". Wayne Starnes of the "Fishes of TN" and his staff attended. Lots of fish folks! Plenty of conversations and visits and opportunitys to share and inquire especially for upcoming students.

Oddly a canoe trip on the Sequatchie was offered but no one chose to participate. A cold snap was blowing thru and the spring spawning colors were not expected but Ed, Todd and i had our eyes widen on our little jaunt. I had volunteered to lead a half day seining on Saturday to Anna but no one raised their hands when it was offered.

If anyone wants to attend next year let me know. Todd, Tyler and Ed stayed in the apartment above my studio and i can generally offer that next year. No muddy waders allowed! I also had 3 cases of Moon Pies donated and printed a banner of Dave Neely's Blotchside Logperch SFC logo that everyone signed. I also printed a couple hundred of decals for attendies. I will give the signed banner back to Anna after i photograph it for her excellent work organizing the event, which by the way she has offered to help me if i decide to host another NANFA convention here. I still have to figure a way of resolving TN collecting issues for such a big group. Perhaps a waiver or group permit.

I cant think of anything else, they provided a lunch and an evening bar and finger foods and dips at the aquarium. No paddlefish caviar tho.

Matt Hamilton told me he has plans for improving the Darter tank which im looking forward to seeing happen. That has been both my favorite and least favorite tank.

I have some baby buffalos lined up for the cement pond, and am excited about seeing those while snorkeling.

Neither Larry Page or Scott Mettee attended. A Georgia online fish book is in the works. Peterson's is still over a year away.

If you wanna know more you should have been there! I think that wraps up my season of activity. Its been a great year!

Casper

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:08 PM

I hope to go next year. We're moving our department into a new building and that's consumed my time and energy for a month now. I'm only 100 miles away, no excuse not to go!

#5 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:34 PM

I'm so bummed I didn't make it :-( I definately had the funds but my truck was acting reallllly funny the week before on the drive two and from Ohio. Tyler, like a great friend and former roommate, never let me know if he was going to go at all and if he could snatch me from the airport and take me to 'nooga. I woulda liked to have seen Bernie's talks for sure and meet some of the people you got to Casper. Wayne and I have thrown snail darter stories at each other so much too I needed to finally meet him. Always next year...sounds like it was good though.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users