Lamprey Age

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:57 PM

If a lamprey was kept by itself, would it live longer since it wouldn't have to use all of its energy for breeding, or would it try to breed even though it was alone(build nests, etc)?

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2007 - 06:34 PM

If a lamprey was kept by itself, would it live longer since it wouldn't have to use all of its energy for breeding, or would it try to breed even though it was alone(build nests, etc)?

I'm assuming your talking about a post metamorph Non-parasitic Brook lamprey. No it would not live longer, in fact in captivity their adult life seems to be shorter than in the wild. Even if it is alone it will still go through the motions of reproduction. Once these fish become adults this is all these fish do and are "pre-programmed" to do nothing but reproduce.

#3 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:02 PM

I'm assuming your talking about a post metamorph Non-parasitic Brook lamprey. No it would not live longer, in fact in captivity their adult life seems to be shorter than in the wild. Even if it is alone it will still go through the motions of reproduction. Once these fish become adults this is all these fish do and are "pre-programmed" to do nothing but reproduce.

Ok thanks. Yes, I'm referring to the Southern brook, to be exact. So I guess when I get some I might as well try to breed them so I'll have some ammocoetes after they die. What kind of substrate should be used? I was thinking of using sand from my creek, since it will have some microorganisms in it, and add some rocks on top so that the adults can latch on and do their thing. Will this be ok, or will I have to move the adults to another tank to breed and then move the newborn ammocoetes to a sand/muck bottom tank?

Thanks

#4 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:40 PM

Ok thanks. Yes, I'm referring to the Southern brook, to be exact. So I guess when I get some I might as well try to breed them so I'll have some ammocoetes after they die. What kind of substrate should be used? I was thinking of using sand from my creek, since it will have some microorganisms in it, and add some rocks on top so that the adults can latch on and do their thing. Will this be ok, or will I have to move the adults to another tank to breed and then move the newborn ammocoetes to a sand/muck bottom tank?

Thanks

This is kind of complicated but I'll try to explain how to do this.

Tank for the breeding fish needs to be long and narrow a 55 gallon works well. (I personally just use large sweater boxes)
As a substrate place half as a sand, gravel / pebble mix and the back half as a Mucky mix of sand, boiled peat and leaves twigs. The substrate needs to be at least 6 inches. Sand from the creek would be ideal as would be the collection of pebbles and small rocks. Do not wash any of this...

Now you need filtration and water flow.. One large sized HOB powerfilter placed on the side of the tank will work however I much prefer just using a power head unidirectional system. Basically for this you want to make a manifold of PVC with powerheads on one side and intakes sponge filters on the other.
Here is a general idea of what this looks like. http://www.loaches.c...manifold-design

However for lamprey do not bury it in the substrate..Instead place it at the top of the waterline upside down...
You want all available substrate space available.

Place males in the tank first and leave them for a few days or a week.. They will build nests in the High flow part of the tank using the pebbles small rocks and gravel. Add the females and you should get spawning activity quickly. Leave the spawning fish in the tank until they are clearly spent and then either freeze them or if you feel sorry for them place them in a quiet tank to die. These fish will not last long after spawning and begin to decay quickly live or dead.

Leave the eggs to hatch and "fry" to burrow themselves......You should see them in another 5 years or so...Until then enjoy your empty tank and remember to keep lights on for 10 hours per day. Do not scrape algae and change 50% of the water weekly with aged water (Never from the tap). Adding detritus twigs leaves etc. on a regular basis is advised.

#5 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:47 PM

Forgot to mention temp:
Keep it on a temperate cycle allowing it to fall in winter to not below 40F and not raise in summer to above 75F (they can go higher than 75F but this is not ideal)

#6 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:02 PM

Forgot to mention temp:
Keep it on a temperate cycle allowing it to fall in winter to not below 40F and not raise in summer to above 75F (they can go higher than 75F but this is not ideal)

have you actually done this for the 5 or so years?? and did the the fish transform and spawn the following spring?

#7 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:40 PM

have you actually done this for the 5 or so years?? and did the the fish transform and spawn the following spring?

I'll let you know later this year or next year... I'm expecting the first of my Northern and American Brooks to transform this year or in the year after.

#8 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:09 PM

This is kind of complicated...

Wow. Thanks for all of the great info. Can I allow other pairs to breed in the tub (which will probably be what I use), or will the larvae eat the eggs? Sorry to ask all of the questions. :-)

#9 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:19 PM

Wow. Thanks for all of the great info. Can I allow other pairs to breed in the tub (which will probably be what I use), or will the larvae eat the eggs? Sorry to ask all of the questions. :-)

Don't try to over do it.. one spawning equals hundreds of fish.
Lamprey Ammocoetus are filter feeders they can not feed on eggs.

#10 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2007 - 11:22 PM

Don't try to over do it.. one spawning equals hundreds of fish.
Lamprey Ammocoetus are filter feeders they can not feed on eggs.

:shock: Wow. Can I feed the extras to my sunfish? Do you think they would be a nice treat? I don't think I'll need hundreds of lampreys in half a decade. Maybe I could give them away.

#11 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:56 AM

:shock: Wow. Can I feed the extras to my sunfish? Do you think they would be a nice treat? I don't think I'll need hundreds of lampreys in half a decade. Maybe I could give them away.

All types of fish eat them...

#12 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:00 PM

Ok. Thanks. You've helped me out a lot.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users