Central Stonerollers

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bflowers_*

Guest_bflowers_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2007 - 02:39 AM

To all,

Does anyone have, or know someone, that has bred Central Stonrollers(Campostoma anomalum) in captivity? I have some that have almost doubled in size since I caught them in early spring. Some of the them are starting to get some breeding colors(males?) and others are down right fat(females?). These are presently in a 125 gallon stream tank and I have observed one of the male and female side by side facing into the current. I am considering moving them to a 20L tank with the same current and bottom. Hopefully they won't mind to much. I have tried to keep them before, but usually wasted away. I decided to try Todd Crail's deep sand bed and now darters, suckers, and Stonerollers are doing great. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill Flowers
Drainage White Lick Creek
Morgan Co, IN.

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:22 PM

To all,

Does anyone have, or know someone, that has bred Central Stonrollers(Campostoma anomalum) in captivity? I have some that have almost doubled in size since I caught them in early spring. Some of the them are starting to get some breeding colors(males?) and others are down right fat(females?). These are presently in a 125 gallon stream tank and I have observed one of the male and female side by side facing into the current. I am considering moving them to a 20L tank with the same current and bottom. Hopefully they won't mind to much. I have tried to keep them before, but usually wasted away. I decided to try Todd Crail's deep sand bed and now darters, suckers, and Stonerollers are doing great. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill Flowers
Drainage White Lick Creek
Morgan Co, IN.

Males will get tubercles. They breed sorta like chubs.

#3 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:23 PM

I have seen stonerollers spawning over the nests of Nocomis species, creek chub, and white suckers. I'm not sure if they only are nest associate spawners though. You may try building them a fake Nocomis mound and see if they like it...

#4 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:51 PM

I had some small stonerollers that I caught in a tiny brook in MO back in the eighties. Never got more then 3 inches long. Colored up the next spring and the male seemed to be building his own nest he moved the several stones I had in the tank (should have added more) then a couple days later the females were no longer fat and the other fish in the tank seemed awfully interested in the nest. This was a twenty long with power filter orangethroat darters and red shiners. No young or eggs were seen but I'm pretty sure spawning occurred. The male did protect the nest a while but was severely outnumbered. I always wondered if they were dwarfs as they stayed small and the brook was pretty much tiny yr round except after a big rain, rarely more the several inches deep or 12 inches wide. Stonerollers here in NY breed pretty early in the spring waters still pretty cold.

#5 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:57 PM

I have seen stonerollers spawning over the nests of Nocomis species, creek chub, and white suckers. I'm not sure if they only are nest associate spawners though. You may try building them a fake Nocomis mound and see if they like it...

I have heard and read that they will build nests like chubs, but if available, will breed in chub mounds.

#6 Guest_bflowers_*

Guest_bflowers_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2007 - 04:13 AM

I have heard and read that they will build nests like chubs, but if available, will breed in chub mounds.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I guess I will setup a 20L with a pile of rocks at one end and then scatter some rocks around the bottom. This way if the male is lazy he can use the prebuilt nest or build his own if he doesn't ike my style.

Bill F.

#7 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:00 AM

Hi Bill, glad to hear you're enjoying this method :)

I've never had stoneroller even act like they were going to spawn. I doubt I've ever had enough, most I've kept in any one tank is 3 at a time. They've colored up, tubercled up, and etc, but never made any action at spawning. And they had a chub nest to do such. Many of the other fishes would get excited when the hornyhead would move things around, but the stonerollers seemed too busy gorging themselves to bother lol.

I'll be interested to hear how this turns out for you.

Todd

#8 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:30 PM

Stonerollers dig pits. They can be long pits. I would set up a long tank with a power head at the end. put about 3" of pea gravel in the tank.
Stonies have reproduced for 3 years now in the cement pond. Pretty fun to observe.

I dont ever recall seeing them on a chub mound except maybe picking at other species eggs.

casper

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users