Three Fish For Id

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Madtom_*

Guest_Madtom_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:01 PM

Hello everyone! Both of these fish were collected in Southeastern North Carolina, specifically Sampson County. The habitat was a Tupelo/Gum swamp. I thought the first pic was a small Bowfin but now I am not sure...for the second fish I have no idea what in the world it is. Sorry for the qaulity...btw the fish in my hand were released soon after those pictures were taken. Thanks!

I know the title says three but there are only two fish to ID...sorry

Attached Files

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:10 PM

Hello everyone! Both of these fish were collected in Southeastern North Carolina, specifically Sampson County. The habitat was a Tupelo/Gum swamp. I thought the first pic was a small Bowfin but now I am not sure...for the second fish I have no idea what in the world it is. Sorry for the qaulity...btw the fish in my hand were released soon after those pictures were taken. Thanks!

I know the title says three but there are only two fish to ID...sorry

Looks like a central mudminnow and a swampfish. I can't really tell for sure in the pics. Did you collect those locally?

#3 Guest_Madtom_*

Guest_Madtom_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:13 PM

Did you collect those locally?

Yes, I did collect them locally. I do all of my collecting in a swamp behind my house. Thanks for the help by the way!

#4 Guest_Madtom_*

Guest_Madtom_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:17 PM

Looks like a central mudminnow and a swampfish.

Swampfish looks like a winner! Can anyone give me some more info on this fish? Are they suitable for an aquarium? I am not sure about the "mudminnow"...again thanks for the help!

#5 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:22 PM

Swampfish looks like a winner! Can anyone give me some more info on this fish? Are they suitable for an aquarium? I am not sure about the "mudminnow"...again thanks for the help!

Both are suitable aquarium fish and can be housed in relatively small tanks because of their size. I think that is definitely a central mudminnow, if that is what your doubting. They will both eat worms and fish and can be trained to frozen foods and matbe eventually to dry foods.

#6 Guest_Madtom_*

Guest_Madtom_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:33 PM

I think that is definitely a central mudminnow, if that is what your doubting.

Oh no, I was not doubting your ID I was just stating that I didn't know what that fish was. Sorry for the mix up and thanks for the info!

#7 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:38 PM

Oh no, I was not doubting your ID I was just stating that I didn't know what that fish was. Sorry for the mix up and thanks for the info!

Oh. No problem. If you have any more questions ask away.

#8 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:41 PM

I second fishlvr's IDs

Tom

#9 Guest_Madtom_*

Guest_Madtom_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:27 PM

thanks

#10 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:41 PM

The mudminnow is an eastern, not a central.

Cheers,
Dave

#11 Guest_Madtom_*

Guest_Madtom_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:58 PM

Thanks for the input. What is the difference between Central and Eastern? Range?

#12 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:04 PM

The mudminnow is an eastern, not a central.

Cheers,
Dave

Trust him over me. :-D

I know centrals get a little larger, and I think they have a different pattern on them. That one just really looked like a central to me.

#13 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:14 PM

This is great! Dave Neely is right pretty much 100% of the time. This being said. Fantastic ID's Fishlvr! Aside from location, and the pattern on the mudminnow, Central was a great guess.

#14 Guest_Madtom_*

Guest_Madtom_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for the help everyone...you have all really made me feel at home! :-)

#15 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:25 PM

This is great! Dave Neely is right pretty much 100% of the time. This being said. Fantastic ID's Fishlvr! Aside from location, and the pattern on the mudminnow, Central was a great guess.

I didn't even think to look at his location. :shock:

I'm not really good at telling the difference between the mudminnows, since I don't really work with them. I've been looking for some swampfish for quite some time now though, so I've been studying up on them. They're probably one of the coolest NA oddballs there is.

#16 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 10:30 AM

I used to live up that way, and I used to catch mudminnows all the time. I sure don't recall seeing many swampfish, though.

If you look at your swampfish, you'll notice how downright weird he looks. Now imagine him as a bleached-out albino, and something might occur to you...

You know those nifty blind north american cavefish? Ever wondered what they'd look like if they hadn't wound up stuck in a cave? Well now you know! They're not THE same fish, but they're pretty closely related, I gather.

#17 Guest_RichardA_*

Guest_RichardA_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:51 AM

Cool finds there!

I would love to get some swampfish at some point! Those look awesome!

#18 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:39 PM

Thanks for the help everyone...you have all really made me feel at home! :-)

Yes, I agree with Dave. I've studied the swampfish for years and published some on its biology. The male develops a peculiar Y-shaped "appendage" on its upper jaw and the lower one enlongates. I've always assumed that this was used somehow in reproduction but since I'm not the greatest aquarist, never got them to spawn. This would be a great challenge for one of y'all. Look at all the great things we learned about pirate perch.

Madtom - where are you located?? I'm in Wilminton.

#19 Guest_Madtom_*

Guest_Madtom_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:07 PM

Yes, I agree with Dave. I've studied the swampfish for years and published some on its biology. The male develops a peculiar Y-shaped "appendage" on its upper jaw and the lower one enlongates. I've always assumed that this was used somehow in reproduction but since I'm not the greatest aquarist, never got them to spawn. This would be a great challenge for one of y'all. Look at all the great things we learned about pirate perch.

Madtom - where are you located?? I'm in Wilminton.

Hello Fritz, I am located in Sampson County. Would it be possible to read some of your paper? Some time down the road I would like to try and house some swampfish but right now I have a tank full of tropicals so I will have to wait...

#20 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:58 PM

Hello Fritz, I am located in Sampson County. Would it be possible to read some of your paper? Some time down the road I would like to try and house some swampfish but right now I have a tank full of tropicals so I will have to wait...

Not sure if I hit the right button. write to me at fritz.rohde@ncmail.net. Use to love Sampson County and Black River untill the pig (and other) farms took over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users