Id Crayfish?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:27 PM

Could you knowledgeable folks ID this cray for me? A friend who works at a big box pet store gave it to me. It came in as a contaminant with the feeder goldfish. My friend didn't know where the feeders come from. It's possible this isn't a native, but an illegal alien.

It's still young, it has molted three times and more than doubled in size in the month I've had it. I hope my pictures are okay, I didn't have anyone to help me and I got pinched and bitten several times! He's an aggressive one, whatever he is.

Attached File  Larry_1.jpg   378.82KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Larry_2.jpg   234.31KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Larry_3.jpg   343.44KB   0 downloads

Here's a shot that shows his markings:

Attached File  Larry_4.jpg   249.47KB   0 downloads

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:05 PM

Some kind of Procambarus. Could you get a closer version of your first (zoomed in on the carapace and the spines of the rostrum/nose) and second picture (the gonopods since it appears to be a male)? They are really clear just need to see a little more detail. Doesn't look like a clarkii and alot of Procambarus that end up in pet shops are allenii.

#3 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:34 PM

Thanks! I hope this helps. Picture 2 isn't as clear as I would like.

Attached File  Larry_1_zoom.jpg   101.44KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Larry_2_zoom.jpg   64.9KB   0 downloads

#4 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:19 PM

red swmap

#5 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:44 PM

Procambarus clarkii? That would make sense, they might be being bred near the feeder fish. I can't get over his weird looking orange eyes. There is a good shot of them in picture 3 in my first post.

#6 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:00 PM

It appears to be a P. clarkii. The gonopods are still a little hard to see since they are at the bottom of the picture and a little farther back (therefore not as in focus) as the mouth parts and walking legs/claws.

#7 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:20 PM

Thanks! Maybe someday I can get someone to help me and I'll get a better picture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users