New to forum

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NativeTexan_*

Guest_NativeTexan_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:36 PM

Hello all. I have enjoyed reading posts in this forum and thought I should introduce myself. I am just getting started with native fish keeping. I have a 40 gallon aquarium with 2 wild captured bluegill, each about 1 inch long. They get along well so far but I expect there is no way I can keep both of these in such a small tank for very long. I have had them for a couple of months.

The tank was given to me as-is with no equipment - no light or hood even. I purchased a Marineland Emporer 400 and it seems to be working well. I do not have an air pump but understand that the biowheels should keep oxygen levels up on its own. (Is that right?)

I feed these little bluegills freeze dried bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp (thawed first, naturally). They seem to always be hungry.

I look forward to learning more about this hobby through the forum. And I am excited to learn that the NANFA conference will be in Texas in 2008. I need to pay the dues and get signed up.

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:50 PM

Welcome to the forum! Your tank will be fine for at least 6 months to a year, mainly depending on the temperature and how well fed they are and the food your feeding them. They can grow up to an inch a month if kept in the right conditions. What are the demensions? You'll more than likely be able to house them in there until they're about 6-7" long, or maybe larger, provided your tank has the right demensions. You'll eventually need a 75 for both fish. The diet you have them on is good, and will get them growing fast. You may want to try frozen bloodworms instead of freeze-dried, as they hold more nutrients(or so I've heard). I would probably add an air-pump, just to make sure they're getting enough O2.

#3 Guest_NativeTexan_*

Guest_NativeTexan_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:00 PM

Tank dimensions are 30 tall, 24 wide and 12 deep ( I guess 'deep' might not be the best term to use here.

It might be more accurately described as 30 'deep'

Anyway, it is plenty tall for a 40 gallon tank so not a lot of surface area for the water. I suppose that makes oxygenation an even more important issue. I think I will get an air pump and stone. Thanks for the reply.

I used swimming pool sand for the substrate (got a free punctured bag from a local supply store) and I have gravel and rocks collected from local creeks and rivers. Also, some fake plants from Petsmart that look like the weeds in the local waters. The main tank feature is a big chunk of petrified wood found locally. It looks deceptively like bog wood. I covered the back glass with a scrap of black car upholstery vinyl. I believe in reduce, reuse recycle.

#4 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:19 PM

Tank dimensions are 30 tall, 24 wide and 12 deep ( I guess 'deep' might not be the best term to use here.

It might be more accurately described as 30 'deep'

Anyway, it is plenty tall for a 40 gallon tank so not a lot of surface area for the water. I suppose that makes oxygenation an even more important issue. I think I will get an air pump and stone. Thanks for the reply.

I used swimming pool sand for the substrate (got a free punctured bag from a local supply store) and I have gravel and rocks collected from local creeks and rivers. Also, some fake plants from Petsmart that look like the weeds in the local waters. The main tank feature is a big chunk of petrified wood found locally. It looks deceptively like bog wood. I covered the back glass with a scrap of black car upholstery vinyl. I believe in reduce, reuse recycle.

Ok, with those demensions, I would up grade to a 55g (48" long x 13" wide; height doesn't really matter as much) when they reach about 5", as these are one of the more aggressive sunfish. Your substrate is perfect, and it sounds like your giving them a nice natural environment. Isn't petrified wood illegal to collect though? I was told it was a long time ago, so I'm not sure if it is or not.

#5 Guest_NativeTexan_*

Guest_NativeTexan_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:26 PM

Not sure about that petrified wood question. My brother has had that piece in a flower bed for longer than any of us can remember. He donated it to the 'cause' when I set up my tank.

It probably would not be a smart idea to go out hunting more petrified wood these days.

Also, bit of incorrect info on that previous post. The tank is 30, 24, 12 but it is not 30 deep. It is 30 wide and 24 deep.

#6 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:29 PM

Not sure about that petrified wood question. My brother has had that piece in a flower bed for longer than any of us can remember. He donated it to the 'cause' when I set up my tank.

It probably would not be a smart idea to go out hunting more petrified wood these days.

Also, bit of incorrect info on that previous post. The tank is 30, 24, 12 but it is not 30 deep. It is 30 wide and 24 deep.

How long is it and how wide is it? The height doesn't really matter as much.

#7 Guest_NativeTexan_*

Guest_NativeTexan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:41 AM

The base is 30x12. I can understand why these dimensions are the most important - in terms of both water surface area and usable fish real estate. Anyway, I realize that I will need a bigger tank to keep these bluegill long term. But it is more likely that I will keep the tank I have and switch to keeping smaller native fish. Maybe shiners are in my future.

#8 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:08 AM

The base is 30x12. I can understand why these dimensions are the most important - in terms of both water surface area and usable fish real estate. Anyway, I realize that I will need a bigger tank to keep these bluegill long term. But it is more likely that I will keep the tank I have and switch to keeping smaller native fish. Maybe shiners are in my future.

What are you going to do with the bluegill?

#9 Guest_NativeTexan_*

Guest_NativeTexan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:02 AM

Either return them to the same spot I trapped them, or find someone with a larger cold water aquarium who is interested in them. I have been in touch with a Biology instructor at the university where I work and he has several native tanks that are much larger than my 40 gallon. He would probably take them. I have a few months to work out a plan I suppose.

#10 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:44 PM

Either return them to the same spot I trapped them, or find someone with a larger cold water aquarium who is interested in them. I have been in touch with a Biology instructor at the university where I work and he has several native tanks that are much larger than my 40 gallon. He would probably take them. I have a few months to work out a plan I suppose.

Unless they were captured in an enclosed pond, that isn't fed by any streams or rivers, you shouldn't release them. This can introduce diseases into the wild that do not naturally occur. I'll take them if you can't find somewhere for them.

#11 Guest_NativeTexan_*

Guest_NativeTexan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:22 PM

Wow, thanks for that information. I knew I came to the right place. I don't want to do any harm. I will always ask here first before doing anything else.

#12 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:26 PM

Unless they were captured in an enclosed pond, that isn't fed by any streams or rivers, you shouldn't release them. This can introduce diseases into the wild that do not naturally occur.

It is also illegal in most places to release fish.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users