Pirate Perch Questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:41 AM

How many can be kept in a 10 gallon, and can they live in one of those Walstad tanks, or would something else be better for one of those tanks?

#2 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:41 AM

It really depends on the size of the pirate perch. I'd say 3-4 as long as you have plenty of plants.

#3 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:42 PM

It really depends on the size of the pirate perch. I'd say 3-4 as long as you have plenty of plants.

Thanks. Would swampfish do good in this kind of setup as well? I was thinking about getting some of them as well.

#4 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:17 PM

Thanks. Would swampfish do good in this kind of setup as well? I was thinking about getting some of them as well.

Pirate perch will eat swampfish.

#5 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:27 PM

Pirate perch will eat swampfish.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was wondering if they would do good in the same type of setup, in a different tank. My bad for not being more specific.

Don't they both like blackwater-ish conditions?

#6 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:17 AM

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was wondering if they would do good in the same type of setup, in a different tank. My bad for not being more specific.

Don't they both like blackwater-ish conditions?

Try the following. During daylight use standard daylight bulbs. During simulated dark swith to red lights. They will come out and you will be able to see what is going on. Pirate perch also take advantage of cover provided by flower pots, (inverted or on side). In the northern part of their range blackwater-ish conditions realized only in late fall early winter so I do not think it is required. They just like ample cover.

Could you get a root wad, clean it up and mount it in your tank? Would simulate at least to our eyes the typical daytime location where pirate perch congregate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users