Who's this hitchhiker?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:18 AM

Who's this hitchhiker that I found in the ghost shrimp tank at the LFS tonight?
Attached File  Pc050001_Trimmed_2.jpg   47.78KB   4 downloads
Attached File  Pc050008_Trimmed_2.jpg   45.49KB   2 downloads

#2 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:26 AM

Who's this hitchhiker that I found in the ghost shrimp tank at the LFS tonight?

Looks like a minner to me. I'll bet it's tasty! :tongue:

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 09:56 AM

It's a "miner", not a minner. Save the innards to make a delicious pate. MScooter has the recipe.

#4 Guest_MScooter_*

Guest_MScooter_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:02 PM

Luxilus chrysocephalus, Striped Shiner? The lateral line seems wrong for that i.d.. Those scales sure do look large.

Irate, menersz' get poached in olive oil with lemon zest, garlic clove, and fresh oregan- gahhh...

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:43 PM

I see Luxilus. But as washed out as it is, I am not sure which species. If I found it in Ohio, I would call it a striped shiner, but there are few others in the southeast ( where I assume this came from), that I know little about.

#6 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:44 PM

Golden Shiner not Luxilus

#7 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:49 PM

I'm admittedly still bad with most shiners, but I was thinking Notropis. There's no Luxilus in central Florida, where I assume these feeders come from (typically near Tampa, right?). I'm certain it's not a striped shiner, I've seen enough of them.

Edit: I see Brian was typing while I was. I respect his expertise. Period, not to mention more than my best guess!

#8 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:49 PM

Golden Shiner not Luxilus

Now how do you do that Brian? I am sure you are correct, what are you keying into? Teach me sensei.

#9 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:05 PM

I honestly don't even know some times anymore. I just guess what first comes to mind when I look at a picture. I would bow to Dave's opinion on just about anything still though. I wish I could say more as to what I keyed in on but I honestly don't even know, probably body shape (deep bodied) and the mouth a bit. I'm actually not 100% sure on this one though, nothing else seems to fit in my mind but something seems a little off, usually goldens from florida have orangish fins. Now I'm thinking and typing, sorry...

#10 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:12 PM

That happens with experience. I was recently asked how to ID juvenile SRBD. Though I have a fraction of your experience, Brian, I have looked at SRBD enough to ID them pretty well. First thing I notice is a strange pinkish look to their sides. Otherwise I cannot explain. Learning fish Id is a fun game, I really enjoy it. No more derailing this thread from me.

#11 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:16 PM

Another after thought... the missing orangeish fins could be just because this is not a wild fish but somehow got there in the fish trade. Most places there is no orange on these fish and this is probably just a decedent from a non-florida population. Golden Shiners and Fathead Minnows are the two most widely used baitfish so this is quite likely.

#12 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:35 PM

Golden shiner was my first thought too. However, something isn't quite right, the scales look too large to me. Although I can't really count the lateral line scales, approximations from the scale rows I can see come no where near the 45 to 55 a golden shiner should have. If this thing is from Florida, there is a chance we have a non-native critter here

#13 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:52 PM

...However, something isn't quite right, the scales look too large to me.

Agreed. First thought was Hybognathus regius, but after looking a bit closer I don't think it's that, either. Hmmm. If you really want to know the best solution would be to sacrifice the specimen, preserve or freeze it, and send it to someone for positive ID...or take better photos that show the anal fin and mouth shape/orientation.

#14 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:19 PM

It looks like a lot of stuff, but it may not even be North American.

#15 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 09:41 PM

I sure don't know what it is, but I know what it ain't!
No way that's a golden shiner.
If I ever reached into a bait bucket and pulled that thing out, I'd..I'd..., well, I WOULDN'T put it on my hook! :grin:

#16 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

So it looks like my suspiscion of my gut was well founded, I too thought the scales were a little large and had a thought of maybe a non-native. So Skipjack maybe you should not have been so quick to think I was so good at ID... anyways just shows I still have plenty to learn, I'll be the first to admit that.

#17 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:11 PM

Also I just want to say... What? we stumped Dave?! Could it be some sort of Rasbora?

#18 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:30 PM

So it looks like my suspiscion of my gut was well founded, I too thought the scales were a little large and had a thought of maybe a non-native. So Skipjack maybe you should not have been so quick to think I was so good at ID... anyways just shows I still have plenty to learn, I'll be the first to admit that.

I know firsthand how good you are Brian. We have very little info about this fish. BTW what rules out Luxilus?

#19 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:38 PM

Well originally range, don't think there are any Luxilus in central Florida, but then again since it is a petstore find range does not mean a thing... I still don't think it's a Luxilus species but not sure I could tell you why.

#20 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:39 PM

That really looks like a washed out luxilus to me. I have been wrong many times though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users