help with id on a sunfish

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:40 PM

I have a sunfish in my 40 gal tank that i have had since Feb, he (or she) was approx 1/2" when it found its way into my trap and I believe that it could be a spotted sunfish, I have been trying to get a decent pict of the fish but my photo skills leave much to be desired.

how many points of ID do i need for a definate?

the fish had the cresent under the pupil and several small spots on its head and body.

The fish was caught in the Escawtawba river in South Mississippi

also how big can i expect this fish to get, it is about 3" or so now and growing fast.

thanks

#2 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:54 PM

Does it look like the top one? This is a redspotted sunfish and I have collected many from the lower pascagoula river.
Post any pic you can get.

Attached Files

• Attached File  189.jpg   228.5KB   416 downloads

#3 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:58 PM

very similer, yes

I will look through my picts and get a clear one

also it does not have the black spots on the fins above and below the tail like a Blue gill,

it also has a light fringe on its tail fins and dorsal fins, and lower fins

#4 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:04 PM

Sounds like one to me.

#5 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:29 PM

here is a pict from March 21st of this year
Posted Image

there were 5 originally, 1 had a strange discoloration and was euthanized, i gave 3 to a friend of mine who has a 55 gal tank, and the sunfish in question tore the other one up so bad one day that I euthanized it.

here it is as of today
Posted Image

I enjoy this fish, it comes right up to the glass when ever it sees me and begs, it attacks the python tube during water changes, staying about 2" from it at all times.

I will probably just keep it by itself from now on out.

how big to red spot sunnies get?

#6 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:32 PM

Yep, its a redspot they get about 8 inches.

#7 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:40 PM

thanks for the confirm, in general how many points of id does it take to make a postitive?

#8 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:03 AM

When I am id'ing a fish I have never seen before I run it through the key, if I have one for that location. Once I have gotten to species on the key I look at the info, pic, and distribution map in the id book. When I was working in the ichthyology museum at USM I would pull a lot of that species and compare them. If I am id'ing the field I usually just take a bunch of pic's if I am not keeping the fish, then compare them to my books when I get home.

The redspotted sunfish I have now is the meanest fish I keep. I moved him in with some adult jewel chiclids because it would not let the bantams eat. It killed both of them in no time. Gonna have to keep it alone I guees. The last one I had did fine with other fish.

#9 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2006 - 01:53 PM

yeah, this one has a rosey disposition. I had a green sunnfish several years ago that used to bite my hand when i put it in the water, the red spot is not quite there yet but it definatly confronts my hand, it stays away from the net though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users