Southern Illinois

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tadpoleboy_*

Guest_tadpoleboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:36 PM

anyone located in southern illinois around jackson county? Or carbondale or paducah ? I have a two man seine, dip nets, cast nets, looking for some good locations

#2 Guest_4WheelVFR_*

Guest_4WheelVFR_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:10 PM

anyone located in southern illinois around jackson county? Or carbondale or paducah ? I have a two man seine, dip nets, cast nets, looking for some good locations

I'm from Herrin, just down the road. I can't disclose all my spots, but I can show you a couple good ones. This Spring we'll have to go out and do some collecting. I'm not fond of water this time of year.

#3 Guest_fishyguy_*

Guest_fishyguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:52 AM

I am in southern Illinois creal springs to be exact. I am new to natives so I dont have any collecting spots but would love to do some collecting when it warms up. good to see others near me.

#4 Guest_tadpoleboy_*

Guest_tadpoleboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:39 PM

4WheelVFR what kind of stuff have you caught down here? what methods do you have the most success with? I've been trying to check out local streams and creeks, and ive found some places on google earth that appear to be ideal, but i wont know until i get there. I just went out today at a spot just east of carbondale by a vet clinic underneath route 13. I had no real luck, only catching some shrimp and mussels and one very small fish that i let go. There was too many logs underneath for any throw netting so i just used a scoop net and waders. Have you had any luck collecting in winter?

#5 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:15 PM

Do you see any Spotted gars down there?

#6 Guest_tadpoleboy_*

Guest_tadpoleboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:56 PM

i havent seen any gars, but i havent really looked in large bodies of water, moreso just smaller creeks. BTW i have waders too if anyone located down here is interested in winter fishing.

#7 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:14 AM

i havent seen any gars, but i havent really looked in large bodies of water, moreso just smaller creeks. BTW i have waders too if anyone located down here is interested in winter fishing.

I lived in southern Illinois (Carbondale) for 10 years studying the fishes rather intensively. Spotted, longnose and shortnose gars all present. A good place to seine for gar is the Horseshoe lake overflow. Another type of location is the lowland streams feeding directly into the Mississippi, especially just north of Devil's Backbone. We have on occasion captured several gar with a small seine near boat ramps o the Ohio River at Joppa. Gars (longnose in particular) were abundant in the Big Muddy River around Murphysboro. The ditch below Lake Kinkaid often loaded during early summer.

#8 Guest_4WheelVFR_*

Guest_4WheelVFR_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:36 AM

No Winter collecting for me. When it gets warmer, we'll have to get out and do some wading. I've got all the fish I need, so I usually just find out of the way places to go fishing. I usually just use dip nets. I do a lot of hiking with my fishing/collecting, so carrying seins and other equipment usually doesn't work out well.

#9 Guest_tadpoleboy_*

Guest_tadpoleboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

alright, the weather is starting to get warmer, anyone know when things start to spawn or when i should start catching ?

#10 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:16 AM

alright, the weather is starting to get warmer, anyone know when things start to spawn or when i should start catching ?

Darters, stone rollers and pirate perch ramping up now. Suckers should still be running. Next warm speel should have crappie on nest.

#11 Guest_tadpoleboy_*

Guest_tadpoleboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:03 PM

caught a bunch of creek chub in a local rocky riffle area. They were in spawning colors, males had the horns. Also caught a few darters.

#12 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:23 PM

caught a bunch of creek chub in a local rocky riffle area. They were in spawning colors, males had the horns. Also caught a few darters.

Tubercles described as horns and in a riffle.....I might guess that you found stonerollers. Did the tubercles (or horns) run the length of the body and were obvious by sight and feel?

#13 Guest_tadpoleboy_*

Guest_tadpoleboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:18 PM

im back down here in carbondale, anyone interested in doing some fishing?

#14 Guest_4WheelVFR_*

Guest_4WheelVFR_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:42 PM

im back down here in carbondale, anyone interested in doing some fishing?

Let's bring this back from the dead....

I'm going to do some collecting/fishing this Tuesday in the Makanda/Cedar lake area. If anyone is interested in tagging along just send me a PM. One collection point is a little bit of a hike at about 20-25 minutes from the car. The other is a 15 minute hike.
Ray

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users