any tips on Chubsucker species

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:08 PM

I was just got interesting into these chubsuckers lately because I keep seen them for sale lately and also in aquarium books. I know there's three species: lake chubsucker, creek chubsucker and sharpfin chubsucker. I don't know how to take care of them properly. I tried google it but no answers came up. So please tell me, gators what I do and donts.

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:43 PM

Lake and sharpfin are pretty easy - just throw them in the tank and feed them. The latter can grow pretty large.

I dunno about creek chubsuckers - never tried 'em.

#3 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:39 AM

Scroll down to find my thread on the same topic.
Basically, my experience with juvenile creek chubsuckers is that they appear to eat, but actually seem to spit out most food and get skinnier and skinnier until they expire. I've tried twice now and had sworn not to try again but responses I got in my thread below didn't agree with my experience.
Next spring I may try one more time.

#4 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:36 PM

What I meant is what's their requirement, their tank size, their foods, their temp...etc.

#5 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:33 PM

I have had very little trouble keeping both Lake and Creek Chubsuckers. They do not seem to be picky feeders. I have gotten mine to eat frozen blood worms, bine shrimp, flake food, shrimp pellets, and chopped up earthworms. I do think the Lake Chubsuckers do take to being in a tank a little better out of the two and surprizingly seem to prefer flake food even when offered other items like frozen blood worms at the same time. You do need to over feed (have a lot of food laying around on the bottom) if you have other fish in the tank that are more active feeders because they are grazers and take their time when feeding. They do get to a decent size, 12-15" although mine seem to top out in a 40 gallon tank at about 8-9". In my opinion they are the easiest sucker species to keep. You may be able to get them to a larger size in a tank than I have if they are kept in a larger tank, although some wild populations rarely get over 6". Hope this helps, and I do recomend them, they are one of my favorites.

#6 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:35 PM

Noticed I missed one of your questions... as far as temperature they have no special requirements they have a huge natural range and seem to do fine at various temperatures. It is not an important factor with these fish, what ever your room temp is should be fine.

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:26 PM

No special temps, no special foods, no special water param's - Let's see if they can survive Irate's Tank O' Death!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users