Lepomis gibbosus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Pesci_*

Guest_Pesci_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:09 PM

I'm new to native fishes. I have a 3.5 inch pumpkinseed sunfish alone in a 20 gallon tank, and I'm having difficulty finding information on the proper quantity and frequency of feedings. It seems happy to eat just about anything, but I don't want to overfeed or underfeed it. Any suggestions or links would be appreciated!

#2 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:28 PM

Welcome Pesci.

To give a short answer:

A fish at that size is no longer a so small that you might want to feed great quantities in order to build mass. You could feed this fish every other day or third day to the point at which its belly is noticeably full but not bloated. Everyone has different feelings on feeding so this is just my opinion. Some prefer to feed small amounts daily and or use dry foods one day and follow with frozen foods a day or two later.

#3 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:40 PM

My warmouth around the same size will eat 1 decent size piece of shrimp every feeding. It seems my every other - every 3rd day routine keeps him satisfied. If you want him to grow faster, feed every day and keep up with water changes.

#4 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:50 PM

I feed juv. fishes several times a day. This is an important time for growth and development so a plentiful diet of various foods is IMO a good idea. This matched with good water quality of course. As the fish gets older you could cut it's feeding down to once a day. Eventually though you might want to look into a larger tank for a pumpkinseed.

#5 Guest_Pesci_*

Guest_Pesci_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2006 - 07:07 AM

Thanks everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users