American Currents mailing blip follow-up

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AC-Editor_*

Guest_AC-Editor_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:21 AM

Just talked to the mailing house. First of all, the current membership list was used for the mailing. However, the expiration dates on everybody's mailing label will be wrong. The mailing house recently upgraded their mailing list software and it's somewhat incompatible with the version of Excel that I use to maintain the list. They're now aware of the problem and it's easily fixable.

So, just ignore the expiration date. Should your membership be expiring soon, we know where you live and we'll track you down.

Chris Scharpf
NANFA HQ (for now)

#2 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:12 AM

.....we know where you live and we'll track you down.

Is that why the black choppers have been circling my house?

#3 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:16 PM

New member and just received my first issue! Thank you!
Is there a way to get the parts I and II of the annotated checklist? (I assume volumes 31 & 32)

#4 Guest_Seedy_*

Guest_Seedy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:07 PM

Eagerly awaiting my 1st copy! :)

#5 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:16 PM

I am disappointed, I was hoping for a riffles section. It's a good checklist, but I was hoping for more.

Tom

#6 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:19 PM

I am disappointed, I was hoping for a riffles section. It's a good checklist, but I was hoping for more.

Tom

Sigh. We have all been spoiled by the tremendous work that Chris has put into making American Currents a very classy, first-rate, semi-professional (and I don't mean that in a deragatory way) publication. I joined NANFA in 1994 and AC back then wasn't much more than a fancy hobbyist publication. Plus there was The Darter with tidbits of information, similar to Riffles. There were some very good, informative articles in AC but it got elevated to another level when the current Editor took over.

I have always been impressed at the information that is included in AC. And also embarassed that I have not kept up with the literature as well as the Editor has done. He has set such a high standard that it is not always feasible to achieve it each time.

The three annotated checklists that Chris have produced rival anything that professional ichthyologists have done. Many kudos to him on this and I look forward to the rest!

Above all, we need to remember that we are a volunteer organization and what we accomplish is dependent on everyone helping out.

Fritz

ps: those who don't know me, don't realize that I am not usually this serious. so peace!

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:59 PM

Tom

My original post that got deleted was supposed to be a joke. I think Chris knows me better, but others may not. The checklist is a BIG DEAL. It's so important that 3 entire issues of A/C were devoted to it, and I can't imagine the time spent compiling it.

So you new guys, the fun stuff will be back in the next issue, but if its any comfort you are witnessing history.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:02 PM

Oh never mind, I see the original thread is still intact. Since I didn't get flamed I gather everybody got the joke.

#9 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:04 PM

Yeah, the checklist is pretty sobering in sections. Look at the species accounts under Cyprinodon, for instance, and almost all of the listings are for species that are either extinct or endangered. Habitat destruction is very efficient at removing native fishes.

#10 Guest_AC-Editor_*

Guest_AC-Editor_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:21 AM

>New member and just received my first issue! Thank you!
>Is there a way to get the parts I and II of the annotated checklist?

Look at the Jonah's ad on the last page of the issue. Mark's selling them for $10 each.

Chris Scharpf
NANFA Checklistmeister

#11 Guest_seanmc_*

Guest_seanmc_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:23 PM

Look at the Jonah's ad on the last page of the issue. Mark's selling them for $10 each.

If you buy the AC back issues on CD, does that include Parts 1 and 2 also? Seems like a pretty good way to get them, plus a whole lot more.
Cheers - Sean

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users