Shadow bass

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:59 PM

So, anybody here keep shadow bass? These guys totally rule. North American version of leaf fish.

#2 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:11 PM

I have kept them in the past, lost 2 one the move down here. They are my favorite native for sure.

#3 Guest_nativeone_*

Guest_nativeone_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:57 PM

never heard of a shadow bass, its it a rock bass?

#4 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2006 - 06:14 AM

Same genus, different species.

#5 Guest_jedsan_*

Guest_jedsan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:37 PM

I've also had the shadow bass, a realy cool fish to look at and personalty wise neat to watch feed. Seem hard to get very many at any location or at any one time. Those darn fish just hidin' the shadows I guess. If anyones' spond these guys it would be neat to know something about it. >')y))Q<

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2006 - 12:24 AM

I've never caught more than 2 at the same spot - they're somewhat relusive.

#7 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:03 PM

OK now that I own one of these which I like a lot also what do I feed it. So far tiny gambusia have been fed to it. So hard to get them tiny enough this time of year though. I bought some real tiny feeder guppies today. I have read that fish only makes up a small part of their diets. Now this fella is to small to eat a crawfish yet. So I am up for any sugestions. I was feeding some pygmies blood worms in the same tank but I removed the pygmies to another location. I have the shadow bass for now in a fifteen all by his lonsome. Even the pygmies were chasing the tiny guppies so I did not want them eating my expensive shadow bass food. So what do you think. Shadow Bass under 1.25 inches ? diet ??

#8 Guest_fisgokie_*

Guest_fisgokie_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:00 PM

are these guys in Louisiana? and would they be okay with live bearers? as in not eat them? How big do they get?

#9 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:16 PM

they would definitely eat livebearers, they get much bigger than them and they feed primarily on other fish.

#10 Guest_4WheelVFR_*

Guest_4WheelVFR_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:04 AM

Shadow bass are one of my favs for the aquarium too. Very cool fish. I'll be collecting a few more this Spring for one of my tanks.

#11 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:30 PM

You got my attention with that leaf fish comparison. I love leaf fish.

This is a cool little bass. Haven't seen it before. Will keep my eyes peeled. :shock:

#12 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:48 PM

Here is where I read the no limit. Was in the tennessee regs. Correct me if I am wrong its good to know the law. Read the last few lines on here.

I think that the TN game warden might give a very strong argument that you have rock bass, not this snow job about "shadow bass". They are very similar species. Worth fighting the ticket in court? The rock bass limits are 20 fish of any size, so no big deal.

#13 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:00 AM

I'm not sure, but I think I caught one a few years ago. I knew it was a bass, but didn't know what kind.

#14 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:53 AM

So, anybody here keep shadow bass? These guys totally rule. North American version of leaf fish.

Irate,

I keep shadow bass, ozark bass, and rock bass.

I have yet to see any behavior indicated for the leaf fishes. Mine are more like pugnacious crappie or fliers which to me they favor heavily excepting the rock bass group stays more in the shadows of tree roots and under rocks. They will hang in beaver larders as well. In streams where shadow bass occur the adults >6 inches seem to hang out in deeper pools. They do fight a lot but are still inclined to be in groups. Juveniles < 2 inches are usually more abundant than a seine would indicate. When threatened they get way up into the roots and wedge themselved there. Try snorkleling in a spot near soem roots where you know one fish is lurking and stay in one place for about 20 minutes. They will come out and you are likley to see they are almost as abundant as the longear sunfish.

They eat crayfish big time but unlike the spotted and smallmouth basses, they do not go out away from their hideouts after them.

I have seen them on the nest.

#15 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:27 PM

I'm not sure, but I think I caught one a few years ago. I knew it was a bass, but didn't know what kind.

If you caught it in West Virginia, it was probably a rock bass, not a shadow bass.

#16 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:07 AM

If you caught it in West Virginia, it was probably a rock bass, not a shadow bass.

Well, it didn't look like a rock bass. If it weren't for rock bass I probably wouldn't catch anything here (not including carp).

The fish had dark bars and black-ish eyes. It was about 3-4 inches. I forgot that my wife had also caught one (a year later), just a little smaller.

#17 Guest_fish for brains_*

Guest_fish for brains_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:54 PM

I just learned about this fish from a Pond Boss post. Here's the photo they posted:

Posted Image

That's a pretty little fish.

#18 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:04 PM

Well, it didn't look like a rock bass. If it weren't for rock bass I probably wouldn't catch anything here (not including carp).

The fish had dark bars and black-ish eyes. It was about 3-4 inches. I forgot that my wife had also caught one (a year later), just a little smaller.

Sounds like a young rockbass, it is very unlikely that it was a shadow bass in WV, you are well outside their range there.

#19 Guest_macantley_*

Guest_macantley_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:31 PM

ive never seen any shadow bass around my area either,

i do have two red-eyed rock bass (what i call them anyway.

matthew

#20 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:41 AM

I want a shadow now! anyone else have photos?

Attached File  shadowbass.jpg   13.41KB   9 downloads

Edited by Bwood, 18 August 2008 - 08:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users