bloodworms

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:01 PM

Is it possible to culture bloodworms? If so what would this setup look like?

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:04 PM

Bloodworms are midge larvae. If you want to just get some eggs and raise them, get a bare ten gallon tank and throw some eggs in there. They're like little blobs with dots in them, a lot like snail eggs. Look for them in fishless ponds/puddles and containers and such. The adults are non-biting midges that live for 4 or 5 days to breed. If you don't mind a few gnats flying around for a few days, you can let them breed in a top-less container.

#3 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:09 PM

Bloodworms are midge larvae. If you want to just get some eggs and raise them, get a bare ten gallon tank and throw some eggs in there. They're like little blobs with dots in them, a lot like snail eggs. Look for them in fishless ponds/puddles and containers and such. The adults are non-biting midges that live for 4 or 5 days to breed. If you don't mind a few gnats flying around for a few days, you can let them breed in a top-less container.

I guess I'll have to wait till spring as all the fishless ponds/puddles in my area are frozen.

#4 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:11 PM

Free frozen bloodworms. :grin: They pretty much are permanent. Just break some ice and scoop up some mud(if it's not completely frozen).

#5 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:16 PM

Free frozen bloodworms. :grin: They pretty much are permanent. Just break some ice and scoop up some mud(if it's not completely frozen).

I've never seen live ones anywhere around here, once I locate some I will be good to go.

Just looking for some live food options, other than brine shrimp. If I could locate some gammarus or triops, I would try to culture them.

#6 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:41 PM

I've never seen live ones anywhere around here, once I locate some I will be good to go.

Just looking for some live food options, other than brine shrimp. If I could locate some gammarus or triops, I would try to culture them.

They live in little mud tubes during the day. They hate light. Look for them at night.

Triops would be a good option.

#7 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:48 PM

Tom,
This summer, I found some larvae that appeared to be bloodworms just under the sand, a few inches out in the water along the Great Miami River, at Shawnee Lookout in the SW corner of Ohio (or was it SE corner of Indiana?). It was a sluggish sand/gravel beach area of the river. I dug in with my fingers, and out they floated, where I could net them with a small aquarium net. This may not help you in the NW Ohio area, but maybe you have a similar area near you. I have no idea if these were indeed bloodworms, or if they are available all year. Maybe someone could add to this??
-Thom

#8 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:31 AM

This may not help you in the NW Ohio area, but maybe you have a similar area near you.

Thanks, I'm in NE Ohio by the way.

I'll just have to wait till spring.

Tom

#9 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:03 PM

Thanks, I'm in NE Ohio by the way.

I'll just have to wait till spring.

Tom

OOPS! Sorry, I knew you were in NE Ohio, :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic