SE eastern seaboard collecting trip

27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:43 PM

its seems the only southern trips we have been having are CA trips in the gulf coast but for me and other people on this side of the mountains have been up to nothing

so I am planing a trip to the middle savannah

Where: middle savannah various locations
When: feb. or march maybe april if needed
might be finding: many lowlands species and mountian species which are hard(illegal) to collect futher upriver

anyone interested?

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:45 PM

its seems the only southern trips we have been having are CA trips in the gulf coast but for me and other people on this side of the mountains have been up to nothing

so I am planing a trip to the middle savannah

Where: middle savannah various locations
When: feb. or march maybe april if needed
might be finding: many lowlands species and mountian species which are hard(illegal) to collect futher upriver

anyone interested?

I would be if it's on like spring break or something. Not really sure if I want to collect illegal species. :?

#3 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:55 PM

illegal as in trout water collection laws not illegal species
spring break was what I was hoping but I supose any weekend would work

#4 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:03 AM

Yeah, I'm not really willing to drive two hours just to stay for a few hours on a Saturday. I don't really have much get-away-from-home time on the weekends, but I get bored out of my mind during the breaks, so...

#5 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:06 AM

Yeah, I'm not really willing to drive two hours just to stay for a few hours on a Saturday. I don't really have much get-away-from-home time on the weekends, but I get bored out of my mind during the breaks, so...

saturday sunday deal maybe
if you get there in the morning on sat. alll day sat plus maybe sunday morning would be plenty of time for collecting

#6 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:09 AM

saturday sunday deal maybe
if you get there in the morning on sat. alll day sat plus maybe sunday morning would be plenty of time for collecting

Yeah, I'm just not seeing my parents let me do that. Maybe somewhere closer to middle GA, like the Coosa River. Of course, then you would have to take a longer trip. But, there are plenty of darters, and I know the perfect Coosa darter collecting spot. I caught at least 20 of them in about 10 minutes. I let most of them go, kept 5 or so, and since I had no idea how to take care of them, they didn't make it. :(

#7 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:12 AM

possiblity I'm just as close to the middle savannah as northern GA and a few members are close in the area also that would allow some TN members to leak down...Casper huh cough um
but then again I dont know if anyone else has an interest in coming we might have to have a tally

#8 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:15 AM

Yeah, I would love to if it wasn't such a long drive. Maybe I'll be able to plan a nice North GA trip this summer or something, and we can all go collect some darters, minners, madtoms and lampreys. :D The more I look at those small stream fish, the more I want love them. I'll always be a sunfish fanatic at heart though.

#9 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:17 AM

Yeah, I would love to if it wasn't such a long drive. Maybe I'll be able to plan a nice North GA trip this summer or something, and we can all go collect some darters, minners, madtoms and lampreys. :D The more I look at those small stream fish, the more I want love them. I'll always be a sunfish fanatic at heart though.

sunfish well then its settled middle savannah
banded
blackbanded
bluspot
flier
banded pygmy sunnie
rebreated
pumpkin seed
are all there
but yeah maybe northern GA would be better I know of a few people that might be able to point us in the right direction if that is the plan

#10 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:20 AM

sunfish well then its settled middle savannah
banded
blackbanded
bluspot
flier
banded pygmy sunnie
rebreated
pumpkin seed
are all there
but yeah maybe northern GA would be better I know of a few people that might be able to point us in the right direction if that is the plan

Well, I guess I'll try my best to make it down there. It'll take a lot of convincing(for my parents) though.

#11 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:22 AM

Well, I guess I'll try my best to make it down there. It'll take a lot of convincing(for my parents) though.

carpool maybe
or the word road trip comes to mind

#12 Guest_augustaranger_*

Guest_augustaranger_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:45 PM

I'm all for going to the Savannah River. Maybe around McCormick County??? Perhaps the guys from Columbia SC would be interested?

#13 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:18 PM

akien or even edgefield would be better i think would be better

#14 Guest_augustaranger_*

Guest_augustaranger_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:24 PM

Aiken or Edgefield Counties are also good for us. Seems like the Columbia guys mentioned a spot near North Augusta.

#15 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:06 PM

Aiken or Edgefield Counties are also good for us. Seems like the Columbia guys mentioned a spot near North Augusta.

as soon as the columbia boys get online again.....

#16 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:18 PM

as soon as the columbia boys get online again.....

Keep us in the loop. It sounds like something we can get in to. If you go the way of the Edgefield/McCormick area, your options will be limited and the only darter of interest is protected. If you go a little farther south into the Aiken area where we could hit the Edisto and Savannah drainages, we would likely do better, with some highlights being the savannah darter, yellowfin and lowland shiner, and several of the swampy species like the Enneacanthus sunfish, banded pygmies, and the like. Let us know what you guys are thinking and we will do what we can to help and/or attend.

#17 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:21 PM

Keep us in the loop. It sounds like something we can get in to. If you go the way of the Edgefield/McCormich area, your options will be limited and the only darter of interest is protected. If you go a little farther south into the Aiken area where we could hit the Edisto and Savannah drainages, we would likely do better, with some highlights being the savannah darter, yellowfin and lowland shiner, and several of the swampy species like the Enneacanthus sunfish, banded pygmies, and the like. Let us know what you guys are thinking and we will do what we can to help and/or attend.

Now I might have to start making some time to get over there. :grin:

#18 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:31 PM

We have also made a trip up into the NE GA area and it was a good trip. We saw many different species, including several shiners and darters that we just don't have in this area. I would be up for this area again in spring when the fish are in color so I can get some photos.

#19 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:36 PM

Well maybe we can set one up during one of the breaks or right after school lets out, 'cause I just don't have time on the weekends.

#20 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:43 PM

all right it looks like we might be having a trip :D
lets go a step futher whos availble on what dates

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users