Got out on my B-day for some collecting...

20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:23 AM

On Friday as my B-day present to myself I took the day off and did some sampling of the local waters near my new home. We went to three locations although we did not sample the second one due to high water. I was joined by Justin Baker, Mark Binkley, and Mark's nephew. It was great day for a late year trip because the air temps got up into the low 40's which is wonderful collecting weather for this time of year around here.

First stop was the kokosing River about 2 miles from my house at a cannoe access. I have not done any collecting in the area since I moved so I was pretty excited to get out. The water was a little high so we only manged to collect along the shore and in the riffles. We got the following at this stop...

Creek Chub
Striped Shiner
Spotfin Shiner
Bluntnose Minnow
Silverjaw Minnow
Central Stoneroller Minnow
Sand Shiner
Roseyface Shiner
Redside Dace
Northern Hog Sucker
White Sucker
Johnny Darter
Banded Darter
Greenside Darter
Rainbow Darter
Fantail Darter
Bluebreast Darter
Mottled Sculpin

Next we drove about 10 miles to a location Nate Tessler and I had visited back in September (which we posted a report on) but the water was a little too high to risk entering the stream with the cold water temps. Next we moved on to Wakatomika Creek. This creek does not look like a creek that would have so many species in it and this was Mark and Justins first time to this location and when we got out of the car I think they were a little disapointed at the apearance of the stream. I said just wait till you get in and see what all is in there...

Creek Chub
Bullhead Minnow
Sand Shiner
Mimic Shiner
Bigeye Chub
Central Stoneroller Minnow
Silverjaw Minnow
Bluntnose Minnow
Spotfin Shiner
Emerald Shiner
Silver Shiner
Golden Redhorse Sucker
Rock bass
Eastern Sand Darter
Variagate Darter
Bluebreast Darter
Banded Darter
Fantail Darter
Rainbow Darter
Johnny Darter
Greenside Darter
Blackside Darter
Trout-Perch
Brook Silverside

Needless to say after we got out the were pleased with the catch, and who knows we may be forgetting a few because we made the list on the ride home afterwards. This was my third visit to this site and I think I have caught nearly 40 species in a 200m streatch of this creek.
Below are a few picture from the day both in the field and a few of my pressents to myself after they had been introduced to my stream tank later that night.

variegate.jpg
Male Varigate Darter Etheostom variatum

silverjaw.jpg
Silver jaw minnow Notropis buccatus

Sculpin.jpg
Mottled Sculpin Cottus bairdii

sal.jpg
Salamander? I don't know these anyone able to id this guy?

rainbow.jpg
Male Rainbow Darter Etheostoma caeruleum

hog.jpg
Northern Hog Sucker Hypentellium nigricans

Greenside.jpg
Male Greenside Darter Etheostoma blennioides

fan.jpg
Fantail Darter Etheostoma flabellare

banded.jpg
Male Banded Darter Etheostoma zonale

bluebreast.jpg
Male Bluebreast Darter Etheostoma camurum

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:28 AM

Wow... 40F. Down here it was 65F today.

Your salamander is a northern two-line salamander(Eurycea bislineata). They can be really beautiful. You got one of the duller ones.

Happy late B-day! Looks like you got a good selection of fish!

Edit: Here, check this out:

Eurycea

#3 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:36 AM

I thought that might be what it was because I knew they were one of the more common species in the area but I just don't trust myself with much other than fish on ID's

#4 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:38 AM

I thought that might be what it was because I knew they were one of the more common species in the area but I just don't trust myself with much other than fish on ID's

I wouldn't have known what they were if I didn't keep them. Now I've gotten to the point to where I know almost every east-coast herp because I have always been interested in keeping native herps. Since I'm relatively new at native fish, I'm not near as good with them as I am with herps.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2007 - 12:30 AM

I love silverjaws, which are pretty common down here. I guess I'm just strange that way. But really, among minnows they are unique.

#6 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2007 - 11:09 AM

Your salamander is a northern two-line salamander(Eurycea bislineata). They can be really beautiful. You got one of the duller ones.

Yep, that is a rather blah colored E. bislineata. Always a good bet in or at the edge of a stream. They can be found year round even up here if you know the right stream or spring to look in. You know you're a hardcore herp freak if you go sloshing through two feet of snow to an ice cold spring to find a few salamanders. Something only understood by a fish freak standing waste deep in a river pulling a seine in December. :smile:

Great post by the way! Nice pics of some cool fish. Wish I could find that kind of diversity in freshwater around here.

#7 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:37 PM

I love silverjaws, which are pretty common down here. I guess I'm just strange that way. But really, among minnows they are unique.

You won't catch any more Silverjaws in Alabama.

Species Split
Notropis amplamala - Pera and Armbruster, 2006
Longjaw Minnow
http://www.natureser...dIndexes=797927

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:54 PM

I'm not surprised - there is a good bit a variation in "silverjaws". I think this split is on the edge, but it was bound to happen.

#9 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:53 AM

Great stuff Brian, sorry I had to miss out. But the house isn't gonna make me sick anymore, so there'll be more time for side trips! :)

#10 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:39 AM

Wow, for some reason I thought Gambier was in NW Ohio and was quite confused when I read your trip list. Now that I looked it up it makes more sense. I think I know where I want to try fish sampling this summer, also an area I haven't done much herping in. BTW, your salamander is about 30 miles north of the line seperating Northern and Southern Two-lined which are currently considered seperate species. Your's is a Northern, as stated earlier.

Your Greenside, Varigate and Fantail Darters are outstanding.

Andy

#11 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:51 PM

You know you're a hardcore herp freak if you go sloshing through two feet of snow to an ice cold spring to find a few salamanders. Something only understood by a fish freak standing waste deep in a river pulling a seine in December. :smile:

I can definitely relate. I go out in my backyard to look for herps and fish alike all year round. Sometimes they just come to me though. A couple weeks ago my dog came in with a nice little grey treefrog on her head. :smile:

I love the pictures of the rainbow and variegate darters. Those are some beautiful fish. Is that a trout-perch in the background of the rainbow darter picture?

#12 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:12 PM

I bet it is Erimystax.

#13 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:08 PM

nope nope, I've seen the tanks, it's a trout perch. Believe it or not.

#14 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:12 PM

I bet it is Erimystax.

At first I thought of that as a possibility from the body color, but the head looks a little large for an Erimystax.

#15 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:07 PM

It is indeed a trout-perch in the background. I think you might actually be able to see two or three of them. They are really touchy fish as far as transporting and very slow grazers when it comes to eating so they are a little on the difficult side to keep but I have had one for nearly a year (caught it on the Jan 2nd trip Nate and I took to Wakatomika) and I added 4 new ones from this past trip. My hope was atleast one or two of the new guys would adjust and begin feeding but to my surprise all 4 seem to be doing great. To the defense of Matt though there are one of each Ohio Erimystax in the tank as well but I don't think they are in any of the pictures...

#16 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

It is indeed a trout-perch in the background. I think you might actually be able to see two or three of them. They are really touchy fish as far as transporting and very slow grazers when it comes to eating so they are a little on the difficult side to keep but I have had one for nearly a year (caught it on the Jan 2nd trip Nate and I took to Wakatomika) and I added 4 new ones from this past trip. My hope was atleast one or two of the new guys would adjust and begin feeding but to my surprise all 4 seem to be doing great. To the defense of Matt though there are one of each Ohio Erimystax in the tank as well but I don't think they are in any of the pictures...

What do they eat? If I can find some I may try my hand at keeping one or two.

#17 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2007 - 08:05 PM

Man I was straining hard to see an adipose fin, and could not see it. So I assumed that they might be blotched or streamline chub. Now that I know, I can really see the head shape difference.

#18 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:23 PM

I feed a lot of my small fish forzen blood worms (I prefer them over brine) but I would think they might eat other frozen foods like mysis or brine shrimp.

#19 Guest_mattjones_*

Guest_mattjones_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:52 AM

Can we have a full tank shot? Pretty please!

#20 Guest_johnpritzlaff_*

Guest_johnpritzlaff_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:31 AM

Amazing! I wish I knew how to go collecting.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users