Mosquitofish with the Rosey Reds

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:54 PM

I have been checking the LFSs for a while now for hitchhikers. I have found Swamp Darters & Bluefin Killies, but nothing else until today! I found some mosquito fish at Walmart in with the Rosey Reds. After about 15 minutes of looking, I found someone willing to try netting them for me, which was unsuccessful, so I took over. I eventually collected 7 mosquito fish and since I am the great adventurer who has discovered them, I shall name them Gambusia affinis walmartii.

You may now nominate me for the Nobel, thank you.
-Thom

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:17 PM

I have been checking the LFSs for a while now for hitchhikers. I have found Swamp Darters & Bluefin Killies, but nothing else until today! I found some mosquito fish at Walmart in with the Rosey Reds. After about 15 minutes of looking, I found someone willing to try netting them for me, which was unsuccessful, so I took over. I eventually collected 7 mosquito fish and since I am the great adventurer who has discovered them, I shall name them Gambusia affinis walmartii.

You may now nominate me for the Nobel, thank you.
-Thom

Haha. I've found G. holbrooki in the feeder tanks at Petco and PetStupid. There are about 100 per square foot in my backyard, so they make a great feeder fish for my warmouth and green sunfish.

#3 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:07 AM

There are about 100 per square foot in my backyard, so they make a great feeder fish for my warmouth and green sunfish.

Yes, according to the latest issue of American Currents, they are "possibly the single most abundant freshwater fish in the world."

#4 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:29 AM

Yes, according to the latest issue of American Currents, they are "possibly the single most abundant freshwater fish in the world."

I agree 100% with that. They've been introduced woldwide and wiped out uncountable populations if not entire species.

#5 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:54 PM

Wait...what you doing with these gambusia?

Man I wish I find the swamp darters and other cool things that came in with feeder shipments.

#6 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:43 PM

Man I wish I find the swamp darters and other cool things that came in with feeder shipments.

Butch,

If you live near a major city (with alot of Local Fish Stores), just keep checking all of the LFSs feeder tanks....Also check their plant tanks, I have found alot in these!

-Thom

#7 Guest_Sal_*

Guest_Sal_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:05 PM

Haha. I've found G. holbrooki in the feeder tanks at Petco and PetStupid. There are about 100 per square foot in my backyard, so they make a great feeder fish for my warmouth and green sunfish.

Do you keep them out all year long ? If so in cold days do you provide heat?

I ask as setting up a second "pond" in my backyard (home depot large plastic prefabricated type) and unlike my first pond no electric outlet near it for submersible heater just incase.

Thanks

#8 Guest_Sal_*

Guest_Sal_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:07 PM

When I lived in NY it was common to find swamp darters in feeder tanks here in Miami I havent found a thing

#9 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:41 AM

When I lived in NY it was common to find swamp darters in feeder tanks here in Miami I haven't found a thing

Sal,
Check my new post in the Identification Assistance Forum. I just found some Seminole Killifish in the feeder tanks at a local mom-n-pop fish store. Finding natives in the feeders must be quite common. Check in the planted tanks, the rosy red feeder tanks, guppy feeder tanks, and especially in the Ghost Shrimp feeder tanks. Sometimes I've gone weeks without finding anything at all, then out of the blue a bunch show up. I find it odd that you aren't finding anything in Miami, since most of the breeders of feeders are in the south, many being in Fla. from what I understand. Keep at it - they'll turn up sooner or later!
-Thom
P.S. Recently found two more LFSs with Gambusia Affinis in with the Rosy Reds. Have no room for more of anything right now though. :sad:

#10 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:01 PM

I found my dollar sunfish in a feeder tank once.

#11 Guest_Sal_*

Guest_Sal_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:42 AM

Sal,
Check my new post in the Identification Assistance Forum. I just found some Seminole Killifish in the feeder tanks at a local mom-n-pop fish store. Finding natives in the feeders must be quite common. Check in the planted tanks, the rosy red feeder tanks, guppy feeder tanks, and especially in the Ghost Shrimp feeder tanks. Sometimes I've gone weeks without finding anything at all, then out of the blue a bunch show up. I find it odd that you aren't finding anything in Miami, since most of the breeders of feeders are in the south, many being in Fla. from what I understand. Keep at it - they'll turn up sooner or later!
-Thom
P.S. Recently found two more LFSs with Gambusia Affinis in with the Rosy Reds. Have no room for more of anything right now though. :sad:

It just occured to me that the only pet stores that carry freshwater fish in my area are two chain type pet stores of which neither carry feeder fish they only carry a few common fish no wonder havent found any natives . In NY I used to go only to non chain type pet stores as the chain type stores will casrry fish that eat feeders but not the feeders as thats not PC.

Mom/Pop pet stores are great nearest one is 90 minutes away but going to take a ride today after work as going in early leave in early afternoon.In NY I used to go to a place called Pet Barn which carried darters,etc with the feeder fish and all healthy.
I had Mud darters which ordered from a NANFA member but added few killies ,unknown darters to the big tank from the pet store. will check out your other post

thanks

#12 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:28 PM

Do you keep them out all year long ? If so in cold days do you provide heat?

I ask as setting up a second "pond" in my backyard (home depot large plastic prefabricated type) and unlike my first pond no electric outlet near it for submersible heater just incase.

Thanks

Gambusia can survive through an amazing temp range. I've had some outside that lived through the cold snap we had about 10 days ago. The ice was 2" thick and I could see them swimming around, picking little inverts out of the algae.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users