Yellow Bullheads

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_joia2181_*

Guest_joia2181_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:21 PM

Again, these are local to my area. Actually same private lake I collect my swamp darters from. They are housed is a 30 tall until my 90 is finished re-sealing. These 3 bullheads have been together for the past 3 years. The largest fish is one year older but is the best behaved. They have had schools of pseeds and bluegills for tankmates which eventually were picked off one by one. Bluegills are always the last to go, IMO they are the most intelligent when it comes to hiding from predators. Of course they have no tank mates. All I can keep are mystery snail and java moss. I believe the MTS are still in there. I feed mostly earthworms and small crayfish, occasionally goldfish and young bullfrogs. Again, nothing special I just wanted to share. All comments welcome.

Attached File  cattank1.jpeg   105.25KB   3 downloads
Attached File  catfish1.jpeg   102.35KB   2 downloads
Attached File  catfish3.jpeg   113.47KB   2 downloads
Attached File  catnap.jpeg   109.84KB   2 downloads

#2 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:26 PM

Bullheads are great. Wish I had the room to keep them again. The pond behind my parents house, what was my grandparents house when I was a kid, is full of them. Every few years they would spawn in the shallows on our side of the pond and I was able to take 1 or 2 to raise up. They sure grow fast! And they don't take crap from anyone. Watching them inhale crayfish and tadpoles was always fun.

#3 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:09 PM

Nice pictures! I collected two 1" yellow bullheads in September and they're now 3 1/2". I brought them in yesterday so they don't freeze tonight(it's supposed to get in the 20's). It's amazing how fast these little guys grow.

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 06:59 PM

I like the Sabattier effect in the first photo.

#5 Guest_joia2181_*

Guest_joia2181_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:03 PM

I like the Sabattier effect in the first photo.

That was by mistake. I was clicking around trying to reduce glare. Glad some else likes it too!

#6 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2008 - 09:39 PM

I love the Bullheads! Very Nice Tank! =D> Did you collect or buy that driftwood? So they just all get along fine?

#7 Guest_joia2181_*

Guest_joia2181_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:23 PM

I love the Bullheads! Very Nice Tank! =D> Did you collect or buy that driftwood? So they just all get along fine?

I collected the drift from a private lake, some pieces that I have are old stumps from farm fields.
The bulls get along fine as long as all 3 grow at the same rate and I keep them fat and happy. I'd bet they'd swallow a smaller version of themsevles. I'm also trying to using the tank to grow java moss and they seem to be tolerating the masses of moss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users