what I should feed to mudminnow

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:27 PM

I recently got a central mudminnow from the bait bucket. And surprised that it was very much hardy than fathead minnows and suckers. I was scared of put the mudminnow in my tank which has different temp of water compared to the icy water. So far just 5 days in aquarium, it does very well. But what about their diets? I give it a small red rosy minnow ( it was already dead from being hooked) and the mudminnow ate it. So I was wondering if the mudminnows can take pellets, flakes and mealworms?

#2 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:46 PM

Mine will take anything I put in the tank. I mainly feed it frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, shrimp, occasional guppies/rosies, worms, sinking pellets, aquatic insects, all types of small, live foods. It basically eats everything except the fish that are too fast.

#3 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:08 PM

Mine will take anything I put in the tank. I mainly feed it frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, shrimp, occasional guppies/rosies, worms, sinking pellets, aquatic insects, all types of small, live foods. It basically eats everything except the fish that are too fast.

Yea sumthisnfishy pretty much said it all. They will usually eat everything that moves in front of them. Just don't keep them with fin nippers. Believe it or not i'm having trouble with one of my darters nipping on my mudminnow's fins! :shock:

#4 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:27 AM

Butch,

Mudminnows luuuuuuv blackworms!

#5 Guest_Nightwing_*

Guest_Nightwing_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:19 PM

Butch,

Mudminnows luuuuuuv blackworms!

boy, you have that right! Blackworms are THE best fish food, I'm convinced.(at least from a standpoint of attractiveness to the fish). I feed a mix of blackworms(live) and frozen mysis and bloodworms. The blackworms act to get the fish going(they just tear into it!) and the bloodworms and mysis shrimp make sure it's not a one dimensional diet. During the summer, I also feed lots of amphipods and whatever else I can catch.

#6 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:34 PM

I've had mine for a couple months, and it would bite at a twig if I dropped it in there.
During the spring, the LOVE crayfish that have just hatched.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users