Forum Calendar

21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:27 AM

Does anybody use the calendar? http://forum.nanfa.o...hp?act=calendar
I check it once a month or so and never see anything on it.

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:39 AM

We have a calendar?!

#3 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:43 AM

And here I thought that I explored all the nooks & crannies of this site. :rolleyes:

I don't know that I would ever really use a NANFA calendar tool. But a live chat function on this site would likely be appreciated.

#4 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:09 AM

But a live chat function on this site would likely be appreciated.

I second this idea.

#5 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:29 AM

I've used it in the past to post the convention and area trips.

Let me know of any events that you wanted posted publicly.

And we've gone over that chat idea (last year?) and someone actually posted an IRC chat room. I don't think anyone used it.

#6 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:38 AM

I've used it in the past to post the convention and area trips.

Let me know of any events that you wanted posted publicly.

And we've gone over that chat idea (last year?) and someone actually posted an IRC chat room. I don't think anyone used it.

I hate having to add extra software (IRC) just to chat. I think some people on here would use it if it was integraded to the forum.

Tom
Edit: Maybe we should take a poll?

#7 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:40 AM

I hate having to add extra software (IRC) just to chat. I think some people on here would use it if it was integraded to the forum.

Precisely.

I already have IRC software on my computer and I won't use the irc based chat room because I don't want to connect to yet another podunk irc network.

If it were one of those flash chat applets that is tied directly into the forum, and we had regularly scheduled chat nights, I think you'd see regular use.

#8 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:43 AM

Precisely.

I already have IRC software on my computer and I won't use the irc based chat room because I don't want to connect to yet another podunk irc network.

If it were one of those flash chat applets that is tied directly into the forum, and we had regularly scheduled chat nights, I think you'd see regular use.

Should we make a poll for this, to see if others want a chat?

#9 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:51 AM

Should we make a poll for this, to see if others want a chat?

I think that's up to Drewish. He's the one that would have to implement this, so it should really be up to him whether he wants to take this on or not.

#10 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:15 PM

I think that's up to Drewish. He's the one that would have to implement this, so it should really be up to him whether he wants to take this on or not.

True, but if theres only you and I who want this why waste his time?

If a Poll shows it would get used then I'll volunteer to help him with it anyway I can.

Tom

#11 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:48 PM

The most forum members I've seen online at one point is maybe 18? Most of these people come on, check new messages, then leave.

Another use of a chat room is to setup special nights for different topics. Richard does this elsewhere, so maybe he can chime in on its usefulness.

#12 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:59 PM

18 is quite a lot!

Most of the forums that I'm on that have regular chats usually have fewer people than that in the chat at any one time. Actually having 18+ people in a chat room makes it hard to keep up.

Just having 3 or 4 active people in the chat room at a time can be a lot of fun. The conversations can run a bit deeper when there isn't a lot of competition for "bandwidth". 6 to 8 is probably a sweet spot, IMHO.

Right this minute there are 9 registered users signed in. If 1/3 of them were in the chat room, that would still be a viable chat.

#13 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:46 PM

18 is quite a lot!

Most of the forums that I'm on that have regular chats usually have fewer people than that in the chat at any one time. Actually having 18+ people in a chat room makes it hard to keep up.

Just having 3 or 4 active people in the chat room at a time can be a lot of fun. The conversations can run a bit deeper when there isn't a lot of competition for "bandwidth". 6 to 8 is probably a sweet spot, IMHO.

Right this minute there are 9 registered users signed in. If 1/3 of them were in the chat room, that would still be a viable chat.

Agreed!

#14 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:55 PM

I'm gonna toss in my two cents. I've been on lots of fishy forums, some with 9000 plus members and have only seen anyone in chat a handful of times. Usually forums need to schedule "chats" in order for anyone to show up. With all of that being said....this forum could be different.

#15 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:58 PM

With all of that being said....this forum could be different.

Shouldn't it read.... this forum is different.

I know thats why I'm here!

#16 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:01 PM

I am also going to add my two cents. Do you guys know how much time and energy Drew puts into this forum? Lets not add to much to his load, he is not getting paid enough. :biggrin:
I like these ideas. A live chat would be great, could we not work it through Gmail or another venue? Schedule it here. Why don't you work on this Magnus? I have chatted with multiple people on Gmail before.

#17 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:21 PM

I am also going to add my two cents. Do you guys know how much time and energy Drew puts into this forum? Lets not add to much to his load, he is not getting paid enough. :biggrin:
I like these ideas. A live chat would be great, could we not work it through Gmail or another venue? Schedule it here. Why don't you work on this Magnus? I have chatted with multiple people on Gmail before.

I volunteered to help! It would be a simple thing to add, Heck I could host it on my site if need be.

I've seen http://phpopenchat.org/ used. It's free should be easy to integrate.

Edit: Seen this one as well http://www.phpheaven.net/phpmychat

#18 Guest_diburning_*

Guest_diburning_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 06:01 PM

Well, if a java chat or even at least a browser-page based chat is integrated, I'll be sure to sit in it.

Theres a java chat client that is free and can be integrated into any website. It's called AddOn Chat and users don't need to download anything to run it as long as their computer has java.

I've done forums before and I am only aware of integrated forum chat on Invision Power Boards and PHPBB boards.

The AddOn Chat is worth a try.

#19 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:29 PM

I volunteered to help! It would be a simple thing to add, Heck I could host it on my site if need be.

I've seen http://phpopenchat.org/ used. It's free should be easy to integrate.

Edit: Seen this one as well http://www.phpheaven.net/phpmychat

Make it happen Tom.

#20 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:35 PM

Make it happen Tom.

Woking on it!

It would be nicer IMO if it was on the NANFA.org website.

Tom

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users