Collecting in Econfina Creek, NW Florida

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

Does anyone have any experience collecting in Econfina Creek, about 20 miles north of Panama City, Florida?

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 07:54 PM

Is that a largeish creek crossed by Highway 231, the old highway running north towards Montgomery, AL? I've seen it but never stopped at it, if that's it.

#3 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:34 PM

Is that a largeish creek crossed by Highway 231, the old highway running north towards Montgomery, AL? I've seen it but never stopped at it, if that's it.

A/the headwater stream of the Econfina may cross 231 but the section I am thinking of is just west of 231 on state road 20 and
runs down to 388, upstream of 20 looks promising also. I've never collected there, but I'm familiar with the area. I'm assuming that the species encountered would be fairly typical of the Panhandle, south Georgia and Alabama. My question really centers around which spring to concentrate on, there are many on this section, or just dip net the margins of the main stem.

#4 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:44 PM

Does anyone have any experience collecting in Econfina Creek, about 20 miles north of Panama City, Florida?

We worked our way across SR20 last year. Stopped at Pine Log Creek to the west and Bear Creek to the east, but passed by Econfina Creek. Judging by our stops, it is probably good Petronotropis territory. Also, You might find Leptolucania ommata and Elassoma Okefenokee.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users