Pteronotropis

33 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:24 PM

Thanks for this post. I am really interested in hearing more about these fish (P. eglini).

Dick Stober is still around - I'm sure he can fill you in. You might also ask a neighbor of yours in Baker, LA - B.G. Granier. He knows a lot about Pteronotropis as well, and hearkens back to the Dick Stober era. PMail me if you need contact info.

#22 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:47 AM

Dick Stober is still around - I'm sure he can fill you in. You might also ask a neighbor of yours in Baker, LA - B.G. Granier. He knows a lot about Pteronotropis as well, and hearkens back to the Dick Stober era. PMail me if you need contact info.

Also you could contact Bill Ballard (oldsiggy is his username here) he has collected P. elgini in the past.

He's online on a regular basis, so he should reply pretty quick.

-Tom

#23 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:32 PM

Hmm... the Yellow River, eh?
Encouraging. Confusing, but encouraging.
Signipinnis definitely has an unmistakable yellow tail with red edges. A solid orange tail is an Orangetail, which should certainly not be in the yellow river. A solid red tail, though... yeah.... now we're talkin' !

By the way, I'm glad to see how my suggested name of P. eglini is starting to really take off and fly. :)

Edited by Mysteryman, 13 May 2008 - 12:34 PM.

#24 Guest_rick_*

Guest_rick_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:16 AM

Here is a link to a photo of hypselopteris I posted earlier this spring. Feel free to use it any way you need to.

http://forum.nanfa.o...c...&hl=sailfin

Rick

#25 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:43 AM

Here is an old pic of a Pteronotropis. Wondering what it is.

Attached Images

• Pteronotropis_2.jpg

#26 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:38 PM

Here is an old pic of a Pteronotropis. Wondering what it is.

Since no one else ventured a guess , I would say that based on the strong basicaudal spot and the wide stripe combined with what little I can see of the dorsal (maybe light colored on top and darker lower) that it might be P. metallicus. Where was it collected from?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#27 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:01 AM

Sorry I do not have the data anymore. The pic was take sometimes in 2000.

Since no one else ventured a guess , I would say that based on the strong basicaudal spot and the wide stripe combined with what little I can see of the dorsal (maybe light colored on top and darker lower) that it might be P. metallicus. Where was it collected from?

Attached Images

• Pteronotropis_1.jpg

Edited by tricolor, 01 November 2008 - 12:09 AM.

#28 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:51 AM

Looks like the pictures of the orangetail shiners (Pteronotropis merlini) I have seen, but I have never seen any of these in flesh.

Blake

#29 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:51 PM

Not a Flagfin, not an Orangetail, not a Broadstripe, and not a Lowland; this is one of the Sailfin complex. I'm not sure which one, but I think we can also rule out Apalachee, leaving us only good old metallicus & hypselopterus. Collection location data would be our best indicator, except where they overlap, but we don't have that.

#30 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:24 PM

Once again, I have no experience with these fish, but I am curious what are you doing to rule out P. merlini? In case I ever do venture out of my state region I would like to have some concrete identification tips. This picture looks exactly to me like the merlini in my link: Visit My Link.

Blake

#31 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:20 AM

Hmmm... well it does look a bit like Todd's picture, but that's a pretty nice picture. Most of the fish I've seen don't look as good as Todd's picture, which, strangely enough, is often the case.
Okay, I guess merlini is back in the race. I still don't quite buy it, though, since the pic was taken in 2000, well before any pics of merlini existed. Of course, merlini itself didn't either, so any pics of one from that time wouldn't have been considered noteworthy. Also, I don't think the dorsal fin is yellow enough, or the tail & anal fins orange enough, but it isn't the best picture.
We just really need to know where that fish came from to have any hope of a solid I.D.

Edited by Mysteryman, 03 November 2008 - 09:22 AM.

#32 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:55 AM

Well the fish does exist long before 2001 but just not described at the time. So merlini is the best guess?

#33 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:15 AM

I have always thought it looks exactly like Pteronotropis merlini.

Blake

#34 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:12 AM

Well, the facial tubercules are very pronounced and the body is very deep, so I guess merlini is a very good guess. You win.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users