Big box of sunfish

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rickwrench_*

Guest_rickwrench_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:37 PM

The big box of sunnies arrived yesterday (thanks for the extras Brian!). All were in excellent condition, and active. I set the bags in the plant tank to temp adjust, and the tank's lone occupant, a 3" bluespot, immediately took a keen interest in the smallest fish in the bags. Sooo, he was evicted out to the garage winter-over pond-plant buckets.
Once the temps were stable, I released the fish and within seconds, they were foraging for food. The tank adjustment period lasted about a minute, after which, they ate a pinch of bloodworms in a frenzy.
Thanks again to Brian for the ease of getting these fish.

Pics from this morning:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Rick

#2 Guest_deepsky_*

Guest_deepsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:50 PM

What is the fish in the bottom picture?
Thanks, Mark

#3 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:29 PM

The top picture looks like a bantam in center and then the head of a warmouth to the right. The bottom one is a w. dollar in the center and a warmouth to the left.

Glad you like the fish Rick!

#4 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:39 AM

Glad you posted that pic of a young western dollar sunnie. Now I have not doubts that I caught one on my last trip to louisiana. Has a very different apperance from the other juvy sunnies. Like glitter on its sides. The only other one I can think of that looks like glitter a bit when a juvy is the green sunnie. But even when small they have a big mouth. Dollars should be an easy find in Louisiana where I go but they seem to be elusive for some reason. And the one I caught did not make it. The one western dollar I was given in the past was an awesome pet. The color of this fish under subdued light was nothing less than spectacular. I know you will enjoy these fish. I currently am growing out a bantam and a warmouth that were very very small when I brought them back from Louisiana and I must say the warmouth is coloring up nicely. The warmouth is a nice addition to any sunfish tank in my experience. Congrats on your sunfish tank.

Daniel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users