New Nanfa Members!

195 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:28 PM

Hi! My name is Scott, I'm 21, and I've just gotten into keeping natives. I started out with some crayfish, and while trying to capture some I managed to get two baby bluegills in in my trap and thought I'd give them a shot in my tank. One bullied the other, so I've separated them, but they still managed to delight me. I've since collected some banded killifish and another baby sunfish(unidentified species, see my icon...or profile picture i guess since I don't see it here...) and am working towards getting a tank to house them when they get larger!

I found this forum while researching what my little fellas would need and figured that I, as well as my fish, would benefit from the information here.

Edited by SunnyRollins, 11 November 2009 - 11:53 PM.

#62 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:53 AM

Welcome Scott. I hope you find the information you're looking for on the forum.

#63 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:49 PM

Hi! My name is Scott, I'm 21, and I've just gotten into keeping natives. I started out with some crayfish, and while trying to capture some I managed to get two baby bluegills in in my trap and thought I'd give them a shot in my tank. One bullied the other, so I've separated them, but they still managed to delight me. I've since collected some banded killifish and another baby sunfish(unidentified species, see my icon...or profile picture i guess since I don't see it here...) and am working towards getting a tank to house them when they get larger!

I found this forum while researching what my little fellas would need and figured that I, as well as my fish, would benefit from the information here.

Welcome... if you don't mind, please fill in the data on your profile like where you are from... not youru address or anything, just general location and maybe river drainage if you know it... that helps alot when trying to identify fish... also the photo into your identification makes it very small, see if you can put it in a post directly and someone here will be ble to help you... and again welcome.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#64 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:17 PM

Welcome... if you don't mind, please fill in the data on your profile like where you are from... not youru address or anything, just general location and maybe river drainage if you know it... that helps alot when trying to identify fish... also the photo into your identification makes it very small, see if you can put it in a post directly and someone here will be ble to help you... and again welcome.

I'm in PA near Neshaminy Creek, where the fish was collected.

Yes I realized it would be too small after posting here...I'm trying to upload the large version of the picture on photobucket, which isn't cooperating. I assume the picture and question should go to the sunfish forum?

#65 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:26 PM

I'm in PA near Neshaminy Creek, where the fish was collected.

Yes I realized it would be too small after posting here...I'm trying to upload the large version of the picture on photobucket, which isn't cooperating. I assume the picture and question should go to the sunfish forum?

Nevermind found the ID forum

#66 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:02 PM

My first post on Nanfa....I have been a member of mfk for a while now which is where I learned about nanfa, I too used paypal and cant wait to get my first AC magazine.

#67 Guest_DavidNoll_*

Guest_DavidNoll_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:08 PM

Thanks and welcome to all who have recently become paying NANFA members!
We do not want to announce you ourselves, we don't want to blow your cover. But if you are a new member, and want to say so, post it here. We are getting alot of new members, and it would be nice to know how many of you have found us from the forum. We want to know how effective this venue is. Thanks again.
Matt

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!
I want to change name associated with my Profile and forum postings (as seen on the left side of the page) from my name, which is already there to something else.
I've spent the better part of an hour trying to figure it out.
I can change everything else, My Profile etc. but not the name.
PLEASE help!

#68 Guest_Ken_*

Guest_Ken_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:15 AM

Hello,

I figure it's about time I introduce myself. Guess my screen name gives away my name. I live in Iowa and I have been in the fish hobby for the better part of my life. If kept all kinds of fish but specialized in breeding Austrailian Rainbows and Seahorses for a decade or so. I did keep darters back in the late eighties but had to let them go (not literally) so I could focus on Rainbows.
I have now built a fishroom (small) in our basement with the intention of focusing on darters. I now have a few tanks each holding their own variety of darters, Johnnies, Fantail, Orangethroat, Rainbows, Savannah, Turquoise, and Seagreens. The last three are thanks to Dustin. I also have a couple I have not been able to indentify that I bought at a pet store when I purchased some ghost shrimp. The Johnnies have been spawning regularly and tonight I found a couple of Seagreen babies in the parents tank.
I also have several tanks dedicated to raising live foods such as gammarus, daphnia, Blackworms and Moina.
All this is on a central filtration system which is probably overkill but it has a refugium, algae turf scrubber, sand filter and two six foot high towers to saturate the water with oxygen. It then goes through a chiller so I can manipulate the water temp for breeding purposes. Once through the chiller it enters each tank two ways. First I drilled a hole in each PVC after it comes through the bulkhead and below each hole I have a valve so I can control the remaining water to reverse flow undergravel filters that I made. Told ya it was probably overkill but these guys eat alot!
I had been familiar with NANFA back in I believe the late eighties so I actually Googled NANFA hoping to find this site. Though I didn't really come into the forums that much until I came across Dustin on Aquabid and after he told me some more about this site I decided to join. He's a great recruiter!!!
Anyway sorry for such a long first post. Hope to get to know many of you soon.

Ken

#69 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:19 AM

Great introduction Ken and thanks for signing up to the forum.
Dustin is a great recruiter, he recruited me and many others I'd guess too.
Thanks again Ken and I also thank you Dustin for encouraging me to join NANFA.
My interest and knowledge have both grown considerably since joining.

#70 Guest_Ken_*

Guest_Ken_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:50 PM

Great introduction Ken and thanks for signing up to the forum.
Dustin is a great recruiter, he recruited me and many others I'd guess too.
Thanks again Ken and I also thank you Dustin for encouraging me to join NANFA.
My interest and knowledge have both grown considerably since joining.

Appreciate the reply Uland. I also neglected to mention I also got Blackbanded darters from Dustin. I think I may copy what I posted and repost as a new topic. Hope that's OK.
Ken

#71 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:52 PM

ive been on the forum for a year....but as of today i am an official NANFA member!

#72 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

Congradulations and welcome!

ive been on the forum for a year....but as of today i am an official NANFA member!

#73 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:40 AM

I joined about 2 weeks ago.

Edited by davidjh2, 26 August 2010 - 10:40 AM.

#74 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for joining David. I'll send you a PM so we can get you set up as a NANFA member on the forum.

#75 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for joining David. I'll send you a PM so we can get you set up as a NANFA member on the forum.

Thanks Uland I was looking for the thread where it said who to contact and couldn't find it.

#76 Guest_MtFallsTodd_*

Guest_MtFallsTodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:11 AM

Hi Folks,
My name is Todd and I am from the Winchester VA area. I kept native fish in aquariums since I was a kid. I currently am setting up a 300 gallon stock tank in my yard to house some goldfish and of course some natives. The central Longear sunfish in Hogue Creek are to die for. Extremely bright and colorful. I'm hoping to find room to set up a small tank inside to have natives in the house this winter but my reef tank takes up lots of room and I just can't bear to part with any room it takes up. Looking forward to enjoying this site!!
Todd

Edited by MtFallsTodd, 12 September 2010 - 07:11 AM.

#77 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:06 AM

Hi Folks,
My name is Todd and I am from the Winchester VA area. I kept native fish in aquariums since I was a kid. I currently am setting up a 300 gallon stock tank in my yard to house some goldfish and of course some natives. The central Longear sunfish in Hogue Creek are to die for. Extremely bright and colorful. I'm hoping to find room to set up a small tank inside to have natives in the house this winter but my reef tank takes up lots of room and I just can't bear to part with any room it takes up. Looking forward to enjoying this site!!
Todd

Welcome Todd,

I'm sure that you will enjoy the site. We have quite a few people up in Virginia, and a couple of others that are into native salt water... you would be surprised what they are finding out there. I used to be into reef tanks myself until I realized that I would snorkel in the streams and rivers... take a look at some of the threads and photos here and you just might be surprised at the variety and color out there in your own backyard!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#78 Guest_MtFallsTodd_*

Guest_MtFallsTodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:47 AM

Welcome Todd,

I'm sure that you will enjoy the site. We have quite a few people up in Virginia, and a couple of others that are into native salt water... you would be surprised what they are finding out there. I used to be into reef tanks myself until I realized that I would snorkel in the streams and rivers... take a look at some of the threads and photos here and you just might be surprised at the variety and color out there in your own backyard!

Thanks Michael,
You're preaching to the choir here. I'm completely sold on natives!!!!!!I think some of the sunfish in my area rival ANY discus in a pet shop. Actually, including all the salt water fish I have, I would have to say darters are my favorite fish. All the color anyone would want and very unique behavior to boot. That's why the stock tank in my yard is #one on my "to do" list right now. I'll post pics when it's done!!!

Edited by MtFallsTodd, 12 September 2010 - 10:48 AM.

#79 Guest_baker46947_*

Guest_baker46947_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:10 PM

Just recently became a member, I did it for my birthday. Thought I'd get a bit more serious about our fishes and see what I can do to help. Looking forward to doing some reading, here.

#80 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:28 PM

Wilkommen, and happy birthday!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users