Which fish for warmer temperatures???

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_T/A_*

Guest_T/A_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:23 PM

I really want to get into keeping US natives but the water temps are concerning me.
In the winter keeping the tank around 70F isn't a problem, but during the summer I won't be able to keep it that low. 78F-80F will probably be the water temp during the summer months.
I'm interested in Bluespotted Sunfish, Banded Sunfish, and Brown Darters(actually any small Darter species). Which of those fish, if any, would be able to survive a few months each year in that high of water temps?

#2 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:34 PM

80F during the day only? Most sunfish should be ok in very warm water, I would think.

#3 Guest_T/A_*

Guest_T/A_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:23 PM

All of the info online and in the book I have state the high water temp should be around 72F.

Honesty I too believe they would do fine around 80F, since the water temp in the wild rises well into the 80s for most of the summer.

I just wanted to get some opinions from people that actually keep US native fish, instead of the info written online and in books.

Anyone else that has an opinion, please let me hear it.

#4 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:49 PM

I have kept many sunfish species at higher temps, around 78 or so. I don't have much success with darters but I have had them survive some pretty warm temps before as well. make sure that with higher temps you add an aerator or something to create surface agitation. Low oxygen will kill many native fish before the temp itself will.

#5 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:07 PM

It will be just like out in the wild....The temp warms by season and time of day.

Chad

#6 Guest_T/A_*

Guest_T/A_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:42 PM

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Here's a side question:
Aggressiveness wise, how well would a Bluespotted Sunfish do with a few Platies, Peppered Cories, and African Dwarf Frogs?

#7 Guest_Charlotteguy101_*

Guest_Charlotteguy101_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:09 PM

most sunfish tend to be on the agressive side, lots of fin nipping wise, im not familiar with bluespotted but i keep other types of sunfish and they all display agressiveness as adults, the juveniles are a little calmer. I dont forsee it to be a major problem but one to keep note of

#8 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:48 AM

no good for bluespot
I had one in a convict chilid tank
killed every thing

#9 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:18 PM

no good for bluespot
I had one in a convict chilid tank
killed every thing

Bluespots are rather mild tempered fishes from my experience. Bluespots killing convicts? Are you sure it was a bluespot?

#10 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:22 AM

Dempsey, bluespot - what's the diff? :lol:

#11 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:50 PM

yes I'm sure though the convicts where only 2-3 inches and the bluespot was full grown
robert

#12 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:58 PM

yes I'm sure though the convicts where only 2-3 inches and the bluespot was full grown
robert

I still find this very hard to believe. I keep bluespots with Gambusia and don't have a problem! I think you must have had a different fish.

#13 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:11 PM

Perhaps there is a communication difficulty due to the use of the common name? I found one site that lists "bluespotted sunfish" as a common name for what is usually green sunfish. http://www.toledo-be...p?request=fish2. Killier, do you know the latin name of the fish that you had? That might clear things up.

#14 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:28 AM

Robert,
I've never seen a bluespot show any aggressive tendencies except when one male is displaying to another. These are some of the mildest tempered sunfish found. Blackbandeds are even more aggressive than bluespots. I seriously doubt you had bluespots if it killed a cichlid. Where did you get this supposed bluespot from?

Chip

#15 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:29 AM

15-20 miles west of greenwood

#16 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:48 AM

Bluespots are a coastal plain fish and this is well out of the coastal plain. I suspect you had one of the Lepomis species rather than a bluespot. Did it have a forked caudal fin?

#17 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:53 AM

robert

What did you use to make a positive ID on this fish? Exactly how large was it? You should know that an adult bluespot would only be about 3" long (largest I've ever seen was about 4.5"). See my pic for size reference.
http://www.jonahsaqu...gloriosus02.htm

Chip

#18 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:46 AM

mine was 5 inches

#19 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:59 AM

THen that was not a bluespot.

#20 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:25 AM

I've found some Bluespots too be more aggressive. All the ones I've had have been more so then blackbandeds but less then bandeds. But most aggression is directed at there own.
Mike Lucas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users