Fantail darters

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:48 PM

Can you have more than one fantail darter in a tank or other species of darters?

I have one mature one already but would like to collect another one to add to my 10 gallon tank.

Also can you tell male from female?

Thanks

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:26 PM

You can have more than 1 fantail in a tank. I keep mine with other species: banded, greenside, and tessellated. The fantail tends to stay in the rocky part of the tank and avoids the sand unless it is feeding time.
I don't have any books with me at the moment to tell me the differences between the males and females but in general the males have more pronounced coloration.
You can probably keep two pairs in a 10G.

#3 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:23 AM

Thanks

I had my fantail in with two mottled sculpins but the sculpins didn't make it. They weren't big sculpins either though.

That fantail was aggressive on them.

#4 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:51 PM

I find fantails to be fairly agressive, but as long as there is plenty of cover especially rocks they do fine with other darters and even their own kind. They seem more territorial then other darters such as tesselated or rainbows. I once had a small tank 15 gallon I think, with a male fantail a couple tesselated darters and a couple rainbows. The fantail attempted to lay claim to a low spot in the center between two gravel bars but the two tesselateds kept taking turns dropping in and he'd chase the one away only to return and have the other tesselated repeat the action they'd go on and on it was quite funny to watch meanwhile the rainbows would concentrate on getting all the food. After a couple weeks I finally separated them as I began to feel sorry for the fantail.
Mike Lucas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users