Grayling

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:41 PM

Are the grayling found in Montana all the native strain from the Big Hole River?

#2 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:19 PM

No.

#3 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:11 PM

Interesting.

I thought all grayling came from the Big Hole

#4 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:30 AM

I thought all grayling came from the Big Hole

...and the burbot are from the Black Lagoon.

...but seriously, USFWS just denied a petition to list fluvial grayling (search the Federal Register for the pdf of the final ruling). Some of the western hatchery stocks have Alaskan origins, and may have contaminated some of the native adfluvial populations in Montana (there's a long and sordid history of stocking in parts of Montana, but the genetic studies documenting this seem to be lagging behind a bit - mostly allozyme work). That said, USFWS' decision seems very odd, as there's abundant evidence that fluvial grayling are a distinct population segment, by all of their stated criteria. I wonder if this decision is one that was influenced by a certain political appointee...

#5 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:33 AM

If the govt were to list the grayling would that not affect fishing in parts of Montana with grayling?

#6 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:24 PM

If the govt were to list the grayling would that not affect fishing in parts of Montana with grayling?

Endangered would likely shut angling for wild grayling down completely, at least for the fluvial pops. If it were listed as Threatened, it would likely impact it no more than it does wild steelhead in California and Oregon, and many different cutts that are listed... catch and release only, barbless hooks only, with some waters closed. Either way, it would give managers some leverage to protect habitat -- the primary reason most fishes wind up on the list anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users