NANFA Chat

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:14 AM

Why should that be the responsibility of NANFA or a NANFA volunteer to provide and maintain that service (as well as assure that things that could reflect upon NANFA poorly or be it worse illegal) in leiu of those other direct services that are widely and readily available.

I agree that an open 24/7 chat room is not responsibility or even close to what we should be striving to provide. I think that (the proposed chat) will be a great tool that people can use to set up discussions on putting together a trip to a stream, projects or other NANFA related items.

There are other places to go to chat, most cell phone plans are free after 7:00. Besides there have been to many wierd things that have been televised about chat rooms and although we can not prevent any thing from happening we do not need to provide an easier window to craw through.

#22 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:51 AM

In short, this is a forum where we encourage members to provide details such as name and location. This information helps not only build a sense of community but also helps quickly assist members with regional questions as they pertain to fishes, drainages, legal, conservation and environmental issues. This forum also has many members that are not adults. Not only does the staff take an interest in assuring the best possible care and safety for the membership but the legal implications for a 24/7 chat on a forum where we ask for real names and locations of children could have a permanent and negative impact on the organization. We cannot control the actions of people who sign up and might have ulterior motives nor do we have a formal screening process to prevent hostile/predatory members from signing up. Unfortunately we are responsible for the actions of people on this forum and this is why we have a great team of administrators and moderators. We do our best to provide a place where unfettered access to information and even entertainment while balancing desires of the membership. As an administrator it can be hard to balance all things and have everyone satisfied. It takes thought, time, effort and even a great deal of private conversation before changes are implemented. We don't want to provide a chat room that makes it easy for potential predators to prey on our members and expose the organization to the associated legal implications. Scheduled chats allow for the administrators/moderators to assure the safety of the membership and the members get the benefit of having the interested parties show up in sufficient number to discuss the topic at hand. Since we're such a small community, scheduled chats are the only legitimate idea to actually have a chat be useful to such a small group of people.

#23 Guest_Andi_*

Guest_Andi_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:01 AM

Just to add feedback from someone who wants to learn about natives and doesn't know much yet. I like the idea of a pre-chosen topic that is at a scheduled time. It may seem boring for some of you that have a lot of experience with these fish. This will be easier for learning. I just hope I'll be able to be available at the right time. It's a fabulous idea and I applaud it! One frustrating thing I've encountered in the past with asking questions on forums is you have no idea how long it will be until someone answers your questions. This will solve that. My next thought is because this is a chat, is there any way of archiving the chat so the info will be available for others that were unable to be there?

#24 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:47 AM

Just to add feedback from someone who wants to learn about natives and doesn't know much yet. I like the idea of a pre-chosen topic that is at a scheduled time. It may seem boring for some of you that have a lot of experience with these fish. This will be easier for learning. I just hope I'll be able to be available at the right time. It's a fabulous idea and I applaud it! One frustrating thing I've encountered in the past with asking questions on forums is you have no idea how long it will be until someone answers your questions. This will solve that. My next thought is because this is a chat, is there any way of archiving the chat so the info will be available for others that were unable to be there?

It should be easy to copy and paste everything at the end and make it available somewhere I'll talk to drewish about that.

#25 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:27 PM

It should be easy to copy and paste everything at the end and make it available somewhere I'll talk to drewish about that.

I too think this would be a good idea :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users