underwater photography

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:28 AM

Anyone an expert on equipment used for underwater photography in streams? I am willing to spend a little to get quality.

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:41 AM

Ask the farmer....the only other NANFA'n I can think of doesn't use the forum but I've been with him taking some great pictures.

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:53 PM

If you're thinking of getting a watertight case for an SLR, there's a huge gap between low-end underwater cases (e.g. the Aquapac- ca. $100 for an SLR-sized model) and the "prosumer" grade stuff (starts in the $1000's).

A more cost-effective option is getting a hardcase for a compact digital, such as the Canon Powershot series; these cases retail around $30-100.

Otherwise, you're limited to snapshot-type cameras in integrated hard cases, such as the Sea&Sea models- and these are generally pretty crummy cameras for the money. The advantage is that they support a strobe.

IMO, for stream photography the Aquapac is fine; the hard cases are so much more expensive because they're designed for deep immersion. The only serious drawback to the Aquapac, besides its depth limit (rated to 15 feet) is that there is no port for a strobe, and no room for a hot-shoe-mounted flash; for lighting you'll have to use a regular dive light. I think there are some other flexible cases that have room for a flash.

B&H has a pretty good selection: http://www.bhphotovi...hotography.html

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:11 PM

Thanks Newt,

Looks a Nikon Digital D-80 camera equiped with an Ikelite Housing will be used. Still trying to decide on appropriate lense for subjects less than 4 feet from camera.

#5 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:57 PM

Thanks Newt,

Looks a Nikon Digital D-80 camera equiped with an Ikelite Housing will be used. Still trying to decide on appropriate lense for subjects less than 4 feet from camera.

A lot of housings don't leave room for a long lens, and you won't need one anyhow; an 18-55mm, 28-70mm, or similar lens should pretty much cover your needs, especially if it has a 'macro' feature for close-ups. I don't know much about the lenses available for Nikons, but I use a 28-70mm with my Canon for underwater photography and it hasn't let me down.

#6 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:53 PM

A lot of housings don't leave room for a long lens, and you won't need one anyhow; an 18-55mm, 28-70mm, or similar lens should pretty much cover your needs, especially if it has a 'macro' feature for close-ups. I don't know much about the lenses available for Nikons, but I use a 28-70mm with my Canon for underwater photography and it hasn't let me down.

Looks like a Nikon 60mm f2.8 micro lens will be used unless you give recommendation for something different.

#7 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:08 PM

Looks like a Nikon 60mm f2.8 micro lens will be used unless you give recommendation for something different.

Sounds like a fine choice to me! I'm not at all an expert underwater photographer, though; I'm just relaying what my research and meager experience have taught me. If you have a local dive shop, likely they can give you better info or point you to someone who can.

If you're buying from a store, you might ask if you can use the lens in-store before you buy- they'll usually let you. Bring your camera in, put on the lens, and just try focusing on items of similar size and detail as say, a darter, and see how you like the results. Of course, if you're ordering online or from a catalog, that option is out.

Another thing to consider is filters. You ought to have some sort of filter on any lens, simply to protect the lens surface. Ordinarily, you would use a UV filter for this purpose, but if your lens is going to be dedicated to underwater work, you might consider a 'warm light' filter instead: it will help cut down on the excessive blue cast of most underwater photos, especially those taken more than a couple of feet below the surface.

#8 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:12 PM

Well, the answer to this question is as broad as "What lights should I use to grow plants." So I'll just summarize what I've had success with...

I've been VERY impressed with the Pentax (edited from "Olympus", I had them mixed up) waterproof cameras. Check here:

http://www.travelgea...tal-camera.html (~$300)

I use a Nikon 4800 with an Ikelite housing for stills. ($400 + $300) I have yet to see a macro on a point and click that beats anything Nikon has to offer in their Coolpix line. The size and weight are desireable, especially in a fast riffle. Here's some stuff I shot at French Creek:

http://www.farmertod...506FrenchCreek/

For shooting in ANY North American stream, I would go either of these routes. Honestly, I wouldn't bother to spend the money on DSLR for this application. Your focal length will be all screwed up due to turbidity... You're not diving on a tropical reef nor are you shooting in the air. Even a slight stain to the water will gray out your exposure, and so I really think it's a complete waste of money to spend to get a picture in these systems, that will only end up in frustration. I have a D70 with macro etc... I'll never even have that camera next to a stream (mainly to eliminate the risk of getting it wet), the 4800 gets the job done well enough.

However, if you have a wad of money burning a hole in your pocket, for a similar amount of money, you can buy a Sony Hi Def video camera and Ikelite housing (~$3500 for the whole kit n kaboodle). I haven't bothered playing with the stills function on mine yet, as I was trying to figure out angles and positioning this year. But I'm sure that's a hi def picture worth seeing. Here's some sample video from MO:

http://forum.nanfa.o...ic=2513&hl=asih (Big Creek and a spring run)

Here you can also see some of the stills I shot with the 4800. This was in crystal clear water and you can still see how quickly you loose contrast in the background. And this camera is AMAZING at keeping contrast.

Maybe this will be a good thread to motivate me to get the video from Big South Fork and the River Raisin online so we can see what things look like in other conditions.

Todd

#9 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:47 PM

I've been VERY impressed with the Olympus waterproof cameras.

...so do you actually have an Olympus? My Pentax Optio W10 bit it last fall (it's been a bad camera year for me). It worked great up to the point where the display got cracked on a rock. I'd been looking at the W30 as a replacement, but if there's a strong reason to go with the Olympus, I'm all ears.

Bill Roston uses a Sony videocamera in a Light & Motion housing; two other friends have gone this route on his recommendation and have only good things to say about the combo; it's as close to being bombproof as a housing can get, and not that much pricier than the Ikelite. Our local nudibranch guru here uses a Canon dSLR in a L&M housing in the salt with impeccable results.

I've used a bunch of Canon dSLRs (10D, 20D, 350D, and a 400D) for phototank shooting, and dragged the Botany dept's Nikon across China, and I'll grab a Canon every time over the Nikon. No comparison. If I had money to burn on a uw system, a nice Canon in a L&M housing would be my top pic.

#10 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:58 PM

Well, the answer to this question is as broad as "What lights should I use to grow plants." So I'll just summarize what I've had success with...

I've been VERY impressed with the Olympus waterproof cameras. Check here:

http://www.travelgea...tal-camera.html (~$300)

I use a Nikon 4800 with an Ikelite housing for stills. ($400 + $300) I have yet to see a macro on a point and click that beats anything Nikon has to offer in their Coolpix line. The size and weight are desireable, especially in a fast riffle. Here's some stuff I shot at French Creek:

http://www.farmertod...506FrenchCreek/

For shooting in ANY North American stream, I would go either of these routes. Honestly, I wouldn't bother to spend the money on DSLR for this application. Your focal length will be all screwed up due to turbidity... You're not diving on a tropical reef nor are you shooting in the air. Even a slight stain to the water will gray out your exposure, and so I really think it's a complete waste of money to spend to get a picture in these systems, that will only end up in frustration. I have a D70 with macro etc... I'll never even have that camera next to a stream (mainly to eliminate the risk of getting it wet), the 4800 gets the job done well enough.

However, if you have a wad of money burning a hole in your pocket, for a similar amount of money, you can buy a Sony Hi Def video camera and Ikelite housing (~$3500 for the whole kit n kaboodle). I haven't bothered playing with the stills function on mine yet, as I was trying to figure out angles and positioning this year. But I'm sure that's a hi def picture worth seeing. Here's some sample video from MO:

http://forum.nanfa.o...ic=2513&hl=asih (Big Creek and a spring run)

Here you can also see some of the stills I shot with the 4800. This was in crystal clear water and you can still see how quickly you loose contrast in the background. And this camera is AMAZING at keeping contrast.

Maybe this will be a good thread to motivate me to get the video from Big South Fork and the River Raisin online so we can see what things look like in other conditions.

Todd

I have a blue giant star in my pocket (got to use it or loose it). The Sony Hi Def video camera and Ikelite housing (~$3500 for the whole kit n kaboodle) looks very interesting. I am interested in sound as well and many of situations will be less then clear. Will be preparing videos of channel catfish spawning and expect to have problems with getting adequate exposure of what is going in the breeding cavity. Any expereince with low light and after dark filming?

#11 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:46 PM

...so do you actually have an Olympus?

I was wrong, well sorta.

My friend Zack has one. All I've seen of that were these silly pictures:

http://www.farmertod...sels/Huron0906/
(the ones below the "line" at the bottom of the gallery starting with fish_view.jpg)

I thought Jeffro had one but just looked at a thread... He has a Pentax too: http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=1923

He got this one replaced and has been very happy with it. Sorry for confusing things. I'll edit my original post to say that I really don't know the difference between the Pentax and Olympus, but Jeff has been happy with the Pentax.

I've used a bunch of Canon dSLRs (10D, 20D, 350D, and a 400D) for phototank shooting, and dragged the Botany dept's Nikon across China, and I'll grab a Canon every time over the Nikon. No comparison. If I had money to burn on a uw system, a nice Canon in a L&M housing would be my top pic.

Sir Charles Grimes prefers the Canons to the Nikons as well. Given that I've ruined 2 cameras streamside, no way in hell am I dragging anything worth more than a couple hundred bucks down to the stream. I'm just too careless. I get more worried about getting the shot or the fly that's biting me than the couple thousand $$ in my hands ;)

I still think a DSLR is the wrong way to deal with stain on the water though. On-board macro is the way to go for the $$.

Todd

#12 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

Any expereince with low light and after dark filming?

I have a 100 watt light for the Sony video but haven't used it yet. The folks at CFI have done a lot of night time film, you might drop them a line: http://www.conservationfisheries.org/

Todd

#13 Guest_bflowers_*

Guest_bflowers_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2008 - 01:16 AM

I have a 100 watt light for the Sony video but haven't used it yet. The folks at CFI have done a lot of night time film, you might drop them a line: http://www.conservationfisheries.org/

Todd

Finally catching up with the forum. I do have one of the Olympus 720SW digital cameras. It does take great pictures and videos underwater. I have only taken it down to 2 feet so not sure how it would do at its limit of 10 feet. Since the 720SW came out Olympus has come out with 2 more models, the 770SW and 790SW. They are all shockproof and waterproof. The 720SW and 770SW records video in Quicktime, but the 790SW records in avi. If you are wanting something to take collecting to snap pictures and such, these cameras will work.

Bill F.

#14 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:09 AM

I do have one of the Olympus 720SW digital cameras.

Ah, it was the Indy guys who all had the Olympus cameras too. I knew it was more than just Zack.

So on a budget, both the Pentax and the Olympus cameras are a nice way to go. And if you drop them, you're not screwed, which did happen with my second 4800 (the first got the shutter shorted out with wet fingers).

Todd "Coolpix 4800 #3" Crail

#15 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:45 AM

Ahhh thank you guys for doing all the work for me when I try and buy something this year....

has anyone gone this route? Sport Pack Sony Handycam

#16 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:54 AM

This is one thing where you "get what you pay for".

But it does make your video camera underwater accessible for less than $1800.

Todd

#17 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:56 AM

My better digital doesn't have a housing made for it...my ancient HP 2.1 MP camera basically goes in one of those baggies and I could care less about it I might as well just take it underwater without the bag.

I'm never going to take it below 5 m that is for sure and as logn as it keeps it water tight and allows for video or pictures I'm okay with not being on the cutting edge of quality. Got the handycam as a wedding gift and it takes pretty good pictures along with the primary video function. So rather than buying ANOTHER camera and then the housing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users