anyone breeding swampfish?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:42 PM

Are there someone who have some sucessful breeding the swampfish? Just wondering. What is swampfish's requirements and diet? Can they kept in tubs?

#2 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:15 PM

I seem to remember Teleost having a pretty detailed thread on swampfish. Did you try the search function?

#3 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:29 PM

I am very interested in tackling this species myself. Thinking of setting up zooplankton culture specifically for the job of providing quality live eats.

#4 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:42 PM

I am very interested in tackling this species myself. Thinking of setting up zooplankton culture specifically for the job of providing quality live eats.

I studied some of their biology years ago. The dominant food item eaten was amphipods. They have a big mouth and don't feed unless something bumps into them. I think Dustin has had some success keeping them alive. No one has bred them and I hope that someone will one day as they did with the pirate perch.

#5 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:27 PM

I studied some of their biology years ago. The dominant food item eaten was amphipods. They have a big mouth and don't feed unless something bumps into them. I think Dustin has had some success keeping them alive. No one has bred them and I hope that someone will one day as they did with the pirate perch.

Sounds like Sirens. I've got a couple; they are totally oblivious to anything until their snout is right on it, though nice and smelly food at least gets them to start cruising around. And no one's ever even seen those things mate!

#6 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:13 PM

I didn't succeed but they did drop eggs for me.
link here

I keep a trio in a 10 gallon that is heavily planted. 1.5" to 2" of mud with large, smooth sand atop the mud. I still have the tiny flower pots and tiny pieces of slate even though you really can't see in the tank since the plants have taken over. I feed live blackworms every to every other day. I haven't seen two fish at a time in a few months (but that's no surprise). I honesty can't see much in the tank but on rare occasion I get up very early and see a very fat swampfish. I always look for eggs in the belly but nothing yet. I should note that I keep the fish in my basement and the tank temps are in the mid 50's at this time. Even in the summer the tanks usually stay in the low 70's at most.

#7 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 06:08 PM

I (and friend) have bred pirate perch in aquaria and suspect swampfish will deposit gametes a similar manner (transbranchioral). I would not be surprised if eggs produced few at a time, carried some distance to be placed in some location for incubation, before process repeated.

Two key problems.

1) Conditioning. What I know of swampfish is they are challenging to get to feed up. The amphipod Hyallella azteca in in my opinion the most appropriate "zooplankton" to try. Easy to culture indoors. Breeding season appears early based on what I have read (your works maybe?). Soon I will be able to set a cold room with photoperiod control to simulate a late winter early spring in the Carolinas.

2) Identifying appropriate micro-habitat for egg deposition and setting it up. Last time we bred pirate perch we used fiberglass filter sleeves since it was similar in texture to a root wad yet flat, enabling filming of spawning act and seeing eggs within matrix. Would the swampfish be willing to deposit spawn in such a location or will they be looking for a more secretive nook that is hard to plan for without seeing it in nature first.

#8 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:40 PM

Ok the breeding's hard. What about their care requirements? Do they need cooler temp and some bunch of plants such as java moss or eloda? Can they live in tub during summer? If not ill keeping them in indoors.

#9 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:12 PM

Ok the breeding's hard. What about their care requirements? Do they need cooler temp and some bunch of plants such as java moss or eloda? Can they live in tub during summer? If not ill keeping them in indoors.

Husbandry / keeping the animals in good condition may be difficult cause not done successfully yet. I would keep them cool. Everywhere I have seen them much vegetation or detritus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users